What the ''K'' means in i7-2600k ?

Solution
The K on the Intel® Core™ processors is used to show that the processor has an unlocked multiplier. By unlocking the multiplier it allows easy overclocking of the processor. Since overclocking is generally through to be an enthusiast feature we have disabled some features on the Intel Core i5-2500K and Intel Core i7-2600K.

The differences between the Intel Core i5-2500 and the Intel Core i5-2500K.

Intel Core i5-2500
-TXT (Trusted Execution Technology) a business level virus protection feature.
-VT-d (Virtualization with Directed I/O) allows you to assign hardware to VMs
-Intel HD 2000 Graphics

Intel Core i5-2500K
-Unlocked Multiplier allows easy overclocking.
-Intel HD 3000 Graphics

The difference between these two processors are...
The K on the Intel® Core™ processors is used to show that the processor has an unlocked multiplier. By unlocking the multiplier it allows easy overclocking of the processor. Since overclocking is generally through to be an enthusiast feature we have disabled some features on the Intel Core i5-2500K and Intel Core i7-2600K.

The differences between the Intel Core i5-2500 and the Intel Core i5-2500K.

Intel Core i5-2500
-TXT (Trusted Execution Technology) a business level virus protection feature.
-VT-d (Virtualization with Directed I/O) allows you to assign hardware to VMs
-Intel HD 2000 Graphics

Intel Core i5-2500K
-Unlocked Multiplier allows easy overclocking.
-Intel HD 3000 Graphics

The difference between these two processors are the same differences between the Intel Core i7-2600 and the Intel Core i7-2600K.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Solution

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
“M” stands for Mobile, “K” indicates a fully overclockable chip (some Sandy Bridge chips come locked and can’t be overclocked) and the “T” and “S” chips are low-power options aimed at OEMs.

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
limitedoc.jpg

When a single core is active, the chip can turbo up to 3.7GHz. If you want, you can change that turbo state to go as high as 4.1GHz. Overclocking these chips relies entirely on turbo however. In the case above, the fastest your chip will run is 4.1GHz but with only one core active. If you have four cores active the fastest your chip can run is 3.8GHz

the Core i5-2500K and Core i7-2600K are fully unlocked and will let you overclock them as far as the CPU and/or your cooling can sustain.

stuartrozier

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

Hello, was just googling - an found your quote in regards to the 'k'

I have a processor with the 'k' after the model.

Does this mean i can overclock mine? if so, is thier a way of finding out how to do this?

Many thanks,

Stuart

TRENDING THREADS