[SOLVED] What thermal paste for my H100i?

Oct 23, 2020
Hey, im going to switch out my old motherboard for the Asus Rog Maximus XII Hero and that requires me to switch thermal paste. Im currently using the Corsair H100i and im wondering what thermal paste to use? Going to keep it non-overclocked and my cpu is the i9-10900. In my local stores the thermal pastes i can get are these:
Noctua NT-H2
Noctua NT-H1
Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Cooler Master MasterGel Pro
Corsair XTM50
(Price does not matter)

Solution
The difference between the best pastes is smaller than running your fans 500rpm less than what you normally do.
I use Noctua's NT-H2.

I'm not even gonna bother with Thermal Grizzly. The price per gram is horrid, and I'm not going to notice anything over the NT-H2 I already use.
It may be the best currently, but the cost for it when other brands can match, or are a mere 1-2C behind... :pfff:

Furzumz

Reputable
I havent used the others but the noctua paste I got seems to work well and isn't quite as messy. I mean its thermal paste so its still gonna be messy no matter what but it doesn't seem to be as bad as some of the others I've used

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Ive used Noctua paste its pretty good,, Im heard really good things about the grizzly kryonaut but its expensive compared to the noctua. I myself am trying kryonaut next. conductonaut is good but your really gotta be careful with that stuff its basically cold molten metal ,,conductivity is risky if it spills out the side of the processor.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The difference between the best pastes is smaller than running your fans 500rpm less than what you normally do.
I use Noctua's NT-H2.

I'm not even gonna bother with Thermal Grizzly. The price per gram is horrid, and I'm not going to notice anything over the NT-H2 I already use.
It may be the best currently, but the cost for it when other brands can match, or are a mere 1-2C behind... :pfff:

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Solution
I'm trying out the Noctua NT-H2 on my 3 coolers now and really haven't noticed it any different then what I have used for years, Thermaltake's TG7.
Over the years I have tried
IC Diamond, Mx-4 and have gone back to the Thermaltake and noticed instant temp reduction.
1 other thing that Is good about the Tg7 for me is most Best Buy's carry it on the shelf for usually $8.00 a tube, where as the Noctua was almost a 2 week wait for shipping from Newegg.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm trying out the Noctua NT-H2 on my 3 coolers now and really haven't noticed it any different then what I have used for years, Thermaltake's TG7.
Over the years I have tried
IC Diamond, Mx-4 and have gone back to the Thermaltake and noticed instant temp reduction.
1 other thing that Is good about the Tg7 for me is most Best Buy's carry it on the shelf for usually $8.00 a tube, where as the Noctua was almost a 2 week wait for shipping from Newegg.
See?
With the pastes that are actually worth a darn - aka not cheap garbage - there's really no reason to spend on the absolute best; the heatsink/radiator and fans are doing the bulk of the work anyway.

Just checked Amazon and Newegg out of curiosity, and:
WHAT THE HECK, there's actually fake versions of TG Kryonaut floating around... how???
'Bad batches' also appear to be a thing with it - like it dries out quickly or something? Or that's probably only with the counterfeit ones, IDK. Thermal paste should have a shelf life of a few years or more, ~so... what's up with that? :mdr:

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
I have to make a correction here I'm not using NT-H2 but the Nt-H1 after looking at my tube, but still it's about the same temps as Tg7.
The NT-H1 and the TG7 are very close in price and temps on this system.
The Nt-H2 could be better but it's $12-13 per tube.
I just ran Aida64 extreme FPU test for 45 mins and my temp stayed @ 60c with my Noctua fans on the H110i never ramping up as I test my new OC setting on a
3600x @4.300ghz @ 1.28125v