[SOLVED] What threadripper?

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Heya folks,

I am currently building a second PC for streaming, video editing and for my mates when they come over to game on. I can't decide between the 1950x, 2920x or 2950x. Any help is appreciated and if you have any other recommendations then that would be greatly appreciated. I will be pairing this with 32GB @3200mhz and an RTX 2070

Solution
Good! A 2080 and 3900x is a good pairing for streaming and 1440p 144hz if AMDs marketing is true.

While AMDs streaming demo WAS MISLEADING, the 12 cores will be excellent for streaming, especially while running cpu demanding games like gta v or sotr.

Ryzen 3900x has doubled cache, greatly improved ipc, and a doubled floating point compared to 2nd gen ryzen.This is coupled with higher clocks, better avx support (judging by the high scores in cb r20 which uses avx) and simmilar to threadripper core count. All of this should allow the 3900x to game, stream, and edit very well. Not to mention existing am4 mobo compatability.
Threadripper can game, but it kind of sucks due to a few factors. While the windows sceduler issues have improved, the inter ccx latency plagues these chips for gaming.

I would usually reccomend an original tr 1950x. 16 cores for sub 500 usually, however ryzen 3000 is right around the corner.

I would wait untill july 7th when the 12 core ryzen 9 3900x launches. It has a 4.6ghz turbo, 105w tdp with stock cooler, and it works in existing 400 series am4 boards with bios update. It should game, stream, and edit very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: rigg42

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Threadripper can game, but it kind of sucks due to a few factors. While the windows sceduler issues have improved, the inter ccx latency plagues these chips for gaming.

I would usually reccomend an original tr 1950x. 16 cores for sub 500 usually, however ryzen 3000 is right around the corner.

I would wait untill july 7th when the 12 core ryzen 9 3900x launches. It has a 4.6ghz turbo, 105w tdp with stock cooler, and it works in existing 400 series am4 boards with bios update. It should game, stream, and edit very well.

I was definitely going to wait but. I might consider that actually. I just want a high base clock because I might not OC. AMD is a much better option than Intel because of price and future upgrading path is much more open. As long as it can get over 60fps on games like fortnite, overwatch, cs:go and handle video editing really well, then i'm happy

I totally agree with the 3900X recommendation. It'll be cheaper than existing TR options and likely to be faster in 95% of workloads. TR still offers better memory and expansion slot options, but that's just not relevant unless you have some seriously high-end use-cases in mind.

RE additional monitors, that has almost no impact on CPU whatsoever. Your RTX 2070 has that covered.

Are you going to be gaming on one of the 1440p panels or all 3? 3 really isnt possible with todays gpus.

I woild imagine the 3900x will push 144hz in most games just fine as it is more powerfull than any current cpu.
You would want at least an rtx 2080 for 144hz 1440p

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Are you going to be gaming on one of the 1440p panels or all 3? 3 really isnt possible with todays gpus.

I woild imagine the 3900x will push 144hz in most games just fine as it is more powerfull than any current cpu.
You would want at least an rtx 2080 for 144hz 1440p

I will only be gaming on 1 at a time. I highly doubt I will use x3 for 1 game

Good! A 2080 and 3900x is a good pairing for streaming and 1440p 144hz if AMDs marketing is true.

While AMDs streaming demo WAS MISLEADING, the 12 cores will be excellent for streaming, especially while running cpu demanding games like gta v or sotr.

Ryzen 3900x has doubled cache, greatly improved ipc, and a doubled floating point compared to 2nd gen ryzen.This is coupled with higher clocks, better avx support (judging by the high scores in cb r20 which uses avx) and simmilar to threadripper core count. All of this should allow the 3900x to game, stream, and edit very well. Not to mention existing am4 mobo compatability.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
and simmilar to threadripper core count. All of this should allow the 3900x to game, stream, and edit very well.
Only 'similar' until 3rd-gen ThreadRipper bumps the core count ceiling to 64C128T. Going to be a beast for people who regularly need to do tons of heavy-lifting like people who make a living editing YT videos all day every day.

If the main use is gaming though, the 3900X does make more sense. Even the 3700X would still be a fine choice if the video editing isn't a particulary high priority.

TRENDING THREADS