diegohm

Reputable
Apr 26, 2018
Hey there,

So I've been having latency issues when using either WiFi or a Tplink ethernet powerline kit (Av600 kit). I ran some ping tests pinging my default gateway and the game server in command prompt and noticed that I always have ping fluctuations when using both wifi and the powerline kit, but when plugging my laptop directly into the router I didn't have a single spike. I should also mention that my download speeds on speedtest.com peak around 5mb/s while on wifi/powerline ethernet even when standing right next to the router, while they reach around 40 mb/s on ethernet. I understand that ethernet is always better but usually the difference between ethernet and wifi isn't that abyssmal. If my connection is just fine while on ethernet, can I rule out my ISP being at fault here? Could it be the router?
Thank you in advance.

diegohm

Reputable
Apr 26, 2018
if it work fine with Ethernet, then it is not ISP
I did some ping testing on ethernet yesterday and I only had very few minor lag spikes. The thing is, my ping was also pretty stable while on wifi at the time. When I went back upstairs after a while however, I ended up having a constant high ping up to 2000 ms. I also noticed that we have a 5Ghz wifi network that my laptop can't connect to since it has an old wifi adapter. I ran some ping tests on my phone and my laptop and my phone always had better results, even better while I was connected to the 5ghz network.

diegohm

Reputable
Apr 26, 2018
so you have issue when you use wifi far away from the router?
Not far away. Ism right above the router and even when standing right next to it I get very low download speeds. And for some reason the 5ghz wifi network is all of a sudden really weak after the internet stopped working for a while.

diegohm

Reputable
Apr 26, 2018
I also noticed that I only lag when playing games on my laptop. I'd won loaded some mobile games to see if I lagg there too but I ended up having very few lag spikes compared to my laptop. And all that while connected to the same wifi network