What to do about AGP speeds?

G

I currently have an Asus P3B-F motherboard and a slot one PIII 700. I want to upgrade my video card, but I don't know if it's worth it with my mother board. The AGP on the MB is 1X/2X. Most newer video cards say AGP Pro or AGP 4X. I know that the newer MBs are backwards compatible for older video cards, but are the newer video cards backwards compatible for old MBs?

In short, is it worth while to spend several hundred dollars on a new video card for a mother board that only supports 2X AGP?

Thanks in advance.

com

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2001
I have the same Question, I have a BX motherboard (TekRam P6B40-A4X), so It support AGP 1x/2X, I found that Radeon Support 2X/4X, ATI say 2X for Old System, however the technical support from Tekram, say that the motherboard Will only support 1x/2X, but will not support 2x/4X, so It's very confused. I will to regards your answer

G

the difference between agp 1x and agp 2x is quite marked, but the diff. between 2x and 4x is actually very small. its not a problem. all vid cards, if theyre capable of 4x, are also capable of 2x

you might as well go for it.

AMD. It gets you chicks.

TRENDING THREADS