[SOLVED] What to do after getting a Ryzen CPU?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2841972
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2841972

I bought a Ryzen 5700X CPU and it will be arrived tomorrow. This is my first time that I am going to use a Ryzen system and I don't have any idea about their programs, etc..

I only heared about Ryzen Master or something and as I understand, it is an overclocking program. I would like to know if the program is a necessary or not. I never liked to use Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility or that kind of stuff. Instead, I like to make changes using BIOS since I feel that is always more effective. Since I am familiar with BIOS and the settings, do I really need to download and use Ryzen Master for an example? Is there anything else that the program actually offers? I don't really need to switch between a bunch of overclocking profiles, I use Windows 11 with optimum power settings which makes the CPU draw less electricity and slow it up if no need.

I just found a program named StoreMI. I only have one SSD on my PC which is Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, should I download that program? I am currently using Samsung Magician and I do nothing special with storage or file transferring.

When I check the official website of AMD, I actually can not see the drivers for 5700X in the list, even if I search it manually. If I would like to see what programs are capable for this CPU, can I simply search for 5800X instead and download the programs using 5800X's link, would that be an issue?

Solution
I bought a Ryzen 5700X CPU and it will be arrived tomorrow. This is my first time that I am going to use a Ryzen system and I don't have any idea about their programs, etc..

I only heared about Ryzen Master or something and as I understand, it is an overclocking program. I would like to know if the program is a necessary or not. I never liked to use Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility or that kind of stuff. Instead, I like to make changes using BIOS since I feel that is always more effective. Since I am familiar with BIOS and the settings, do I really need to download and use Ryzen Master for an example? Is there anything else that the program actually offers? I don't really need to switch between a bunch of overclocking profiles, I use...

I only heared about Ryzen Master or something and as I understand, it is an overclocking program. I would like to know if the program is a necessary or not. I never liked to use Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility or that kind of stuff. Instead, I like to make changes using BIOS since I feel that is always more effective. Since I am familiar with BIOS and the settings, do I really need to download and use Ryzen Master for an example? Is there anything else that the program actually offers? I don't really need to switch between a bunch of overclocking profiles, I use Windows 11 with optimum power settings which makes the CPU draw less electricity and slow it up if no need.

I just found a program named StoreMI. I only have one SSD on my PC which is Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, should I download that program? I am currently using Samsung Magician and I do nothing special with storage or file transferring.

When I check the official website of AMD, I actually can not see the drivers for 5700X in the list, even if I search it manually. If I would like to see what programs are capable for this CPU, can I simply search for 5800X instead and download the programs using 5800X's link, would that be an issue?
You need a gpu for display. all ryzen cpus up till 5000 series, with no G, contains no IGPU.

also ryzen master could be good, but on 5000 series you could just use PBO on advanced and do Curve Optimizer at negative offset. better than manual overclocking.

i've did 4.6ghz all core on 5600G with -16 Curve Optimizer and +200mhz PBO Max Boost all core, it gave me under 1.4 (usually 1.375 max) with llc 3 on b550m pro4, stable, but didnt fine tune the per core curve. prolly will do some when i have free time.

Ryzen Master is very useful tool for displaying and following all parameters, not so much for overclocking although it can be done just as well as in BIOS Also has an Auto OC mode with stability test.
On the other hand, Ryzen is not exactly OC friendly, boosting algorithms already have it as good as you could do it manually. Some tweaking, depending on BIOS is best way to get most out of it, old time OC methods in most cases result in lower single core performance. Most tweaking is usually finding and applying settings for boost, PBO2 and voltage and temps control, this last one can be critical.
From other programs, I'd suggest Curve Optimizer that works best with MBs with 500 series chipset.
StoreMI is not very functional and with fast SSDs not needed.
Samsung Magician is not performance enhancing program, it's just for checking with added bonus to upgrade firmware if needed.
You don't need and there are no drivers for specific CPUs, they are all built in Windows and updated with it. Some of CPU functionality is also included in chipset driver, newest ones are on AMD's site but if there are some special MB features,then you should get them from it's manufacturer.
I also suggest you use Windows 11 as they have better support for latest Ryzen features and the way it works. It's doubtful W10 will ever get those.
Of other programs that work well with Ryzen platform is HWinfo64.

D

Deleted member 2841972

Ryzen Master is very useful tool for displaying and following all parameters, not so much for overclocking although it can be done just as well as in BIOS Also has an Auto OC mode with stability test.
On the other hand, Ryzen is not exactly OC friendly, boosting algorithms already have it as good as you could do it manually. Some tweaking, depending on BIOS is best way to get most out of it, old time OC methods in most cases result in lower single core performance. Most tweaking is usually finding and applying settings for boost, PBO2 and voltage and temps control, this last one can be critical.
From other programs, I'd suggest Curve Optimizer that works best with MBs with 500 series chipset.
StoreMI is not very functional and with fast SSDs not needed.
Samsung Magician is not performance enhancing program, it's just for checking with added bonus to upgrade firmware if needed.
You don't need and there are no drivers for specific CPUs, they are all built in Windows and updated with it. Some of CPU functionality is also included in chipset driver, newest ones are on AMD's site but if there are some special MB features,then you should get them from it's manufacturer.
I also suggest you use Windows 11 as they have better support for latest Ryzen features and the way it works. It's doubtful W10 will ever get those.
Of other programs that work well with Ryzen platform is HWinfo64.
Thanks for your comment, you literally replied every single question I asked. Recently I am using GTX 1060 on 1080p. I know it will bottleneck with 5700X however I don't really mind since I don't really like to increase every single graphics settings anyway. Also I believe it will be really pointless to overclock the CPU. I would simply use it on its official boost speed and thats it. Maybe I can lower the voltages and it would be cooler if I could make it to run with lower voltage and degree. Since I am not really going to overclock the CPU and maybe lower the voltage, would you still want me to download and use Ryzen Master or should I just stick to BIOS? Thanks.

Thanks for your comment, you literally replied every single question I asked. Recently I am using GTX 1060 on 1080p. I know it will bottleneck with 5700X however I don't really mind since I don't really like to increase every single graphics settings anyway. Also I believe it will be really pointless to overclock the CPU. I would simply use it on its official boost speed and thats it. Maybe I can lower the voltages and it would be cooler if I could make it to run with lower voltage and degree. Since I am not really going to overclock the CPU and maybe lower the voltage, would you still want me to download and use Ryzen Master or should I just stick to BIOS? Thanks.
Test stable on Ryzen Master, if everything's good, do it on Bios. Prefer to do PBO + Curve Optimizer rather than manual OC.

also dont forget to update your mobo bios to the latest + amd chipset driver to the latest from amd web.

RyzenMaster is an overclocking utility from AMD. It's useful in that you can do some things dynamically from within Windows, but can also be problematic. Many people find the service it installs to cause performance problems even if not being used. Overclocking a 5800x in conventional sense is pointless, but tweaking the V/f curve is useful using Curve Optimizer. Once done experimenting with it in RM you want to do it in BIOS though, it's much better that way. Then just uninstall it and forget about it.

Most people like it because it shows CPU core temps and voltages correctly. A much better utility for that is HWInfo64, so be sure to get that.

StoreMi sets up a tiered storage using your SSD as fast drive and an HDD as slow drive. It dynamically moves the most used code/data blocks from the slow drives to the fast drive in the tier so it seems almost like you're using a fast SSD for everything. If you have a typical drive arrangement (one NVME for system, fast SSD's for data and games) it's really not going to gain you anything.

You'll probably need to update BIOS since the latest one fixes several issues with USB dropouts and audio glitches. Do that first, before installing the OS.

You'll also need chipset drivers. Only install the ones you can get from AMD.

It's personal to me but I don't install any of the motherboard manufacturer's utilities or drivers if I can avoid it. Windows installs default drivers for sound and network that are perfectly functional. You can get Realtek audio console from Windows Store to provide advanced audio controls if you want them.

I have a real problem with Asus' way of trying to download and install it's utilities every time Windows boots up unless I disable a setting in the BIOS. I consider that a potential backdoor into my system that only needs a hacker to figure a way to exploit it.

And of course get GPU drivers from Nvidia or AMD.

Last edited:
Solution
D

Deleted member 2841972

+ amd chipset driver to the latest from amd web.
If I would reset my PC and update my Windows 11, wouldn't I receive the chipset drivers automatically? Should I really do that manually?

Curve Optimizer
Does it included in Ryzen Master or is it just a seperate program?

You'll also need chipset drivers. Only install the ones you can get from AMD.
Would that be downloaded automatically when I update my Windows 11? Is there something else that I should download manually?

You can get Realtek audio console from Windows Store to provide advanced audio controls if you want them.
I have an external audio interface named Komplete Audio 1, I think I don't need to download it.

If I would reset my PC and update my Windows 11, wouldn't I receive the chipset drivers automatically? Should I really do that manually?

Would that be downloaded automatically when I update my Windows 11? Is there something else that I should download manually?

I have an external audio interface named Komplete Audio 1, I think I don't need to download it.
it is strongly recommended to manually download drivers rather than relying on windows update, cause sometimes windows update are just outdated. on my exp building ryzen pcs, i always never turn on internet after installing windows and manually install chipset driver, and gpu driver.

Reactions: CountMike

When Windows installs it will install default hardware drivers for all the components in the system (even GPU) so that basic functionality is assured. AMD's chipset drivers are just more up-to-date and provide better support for system power management and CPU boosting, among other things. It's all in one package you need to get from the AMD support site and install them after the OS setup is finished. I do it first thing, before even installing mfr's GPU drivers but after Windows has finished updating itself.

I'm not familiar with Komplete Audio 1. I'm sure you'll need to follow it's mfr's instructions for any necessary drivers and software installs. I'd do that, however, only after you've completely set up and commissioned (proven out) the basic system.

I think the latest versions of RyzenMaster have the controls for using Curve Optimizer, I've never tried it. I only use BIOS for everything. But don't get ahead of yourself: get the basic system up and running first and fully tested. That means getting HWINfo64 to characterize temperatures and voltages under normal and stressed operations before installing RM to play around with overclocking.

Last edited:
The only thing I think anyone really needs to do with a Ryzen CPU if they're comfortable tweaking with BIOS is to undervolt the CPU with PBO Curve Optimizer in BIOS. I'm not too particularly a fan of Ryzen Master as sometimes whatever I do sticks, but sometimes it doesn't. And I don't really need to flip through different clocking profiles.

I also think enabling configuring turbo boost behavior in the Power Plan Profiles might be useful too (shameless plug: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/something-to-consider-for-laptops.3737865/). I made another profile that disables turbo boost entirely.

Another thing to keep in mind if you're monitoring temperatures or whatnot, it's normal for spikes to happen periodically. It's the CPU servicing idle tasks.

Otherwise, I don't have anything from AMD installed other than chipset drivers because I don't see them adding any real value to the system.

Reactions: Koekieezz

TRENDING THREADS