[SOLVED] What to do if you I get this error message when trying to connect to Mobile Hotspot?

Jun 8, 2020
I am in quite a predicament atm. The error message is below

" ... We can't set up Mobile Hotspot because your PC doesn't have an Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or cellular data connection. "

My laptop seems to be unable to detect Mobile Hotspots. I am thinking that .. the laptop itself doesn't have the hardware built inside the system to detect and that I need to get a Laptop.

And yes, I have had my Mobile Hotspot on and my Laptop still doesn't detect it at all.

Now, I know " a few " websites for laptops, but part of my predicament worsens since
  • Yes, I do game online ( MMOs to be exact )
  • However, even if I didn't game, I plan on learning programming ... while inevitably leading to incorporating code into game engines at some point. But mainly just learning coding. So I may need to make a purchase future proofing? But low on cash.
Maybe I need to buy another Carrier and maybe my laptop will then detect the mobile hotspot.

Did I mention I never used mobile hotspot? I never used mobile hotspot before.

I have no problem ditching online games. In which case, the 24 Hour Chromebook would be ideal ... But then latter troubles me ...

No need to include the " extrapolate " any further on the laptop for this section. In fact, I only already have a couple in mind. However, if you want to include your personal recommendations for laptops, go ahead.

My main concern is seeking out answers as to why my Mobile Hotspot is not being detected on my Laptop

EDIT: The " Mobile HotSpot " icon is grayed-out .. as if it's not even an option

Via .. in Windows 10 ... you know how .. when you hover over Airplane Mode .. before even clicking on Airplane Mode, the icon itself glows/highlights?

If you understand what I'm talking about, then, for the mobile hotspot icon, it does not glow/highlight when I hover my cursor over it - it's literally grayed-out

Last edited:
Solution
View: http://imgur.com/gallery/YYriSUE

That's the pic to my error message - I would gladly take a screenshot for a more clearer message .. but my laptop can't access my hotspot

I will contact my phone service provider about those devices . However ...

In this online article, it ironic sparks a question that I was hoping to have answered originally via ...

" ... The hotspot communicates with devices equipped with wireless capability using a radio signal which transmits the Internet connection to devices that are connecting to the network ... "

( There's also another sentence, following after, that may or...
Jun 8, 2020
The mobile hotspot will be from my phone. I want my laptop to detect the signal from my phone

I want my laptop use the mobile hotspot from my phone

If this is all wrong how does this work?
Is my laptop lacking the hardware?

Jun 8, 2020
So after I connect my laptop to my home internet ... THEN I can freely connect my Laptop to my Mobile Hotspot WITHOUT needing to be connected to home internet?

Hotspot is generated from my phone

kanewolf

Titan
So after I connect my laptop to my home internet ... THEN I can freely connect my Laptop to my Mobile Hotspot WITHOUT needing to be connected to home internet?

Hotspot is generated from my phone
You can save the configuration for your home WIFI and the hotspot WIFI in the laptop (set the connect automatically option) then your laptop will connect to which ever of the WIFI sources it sees. You usually want to selectively turn on the WIFI hotspot on your phone, because it is hard on batteries.

kanewolf

Titan
@kanewolf

What's the difference between Hotspot vs. Portable Wi-Fi?

Because I seem to misunderstood how this works
I don't think there is any difference. Maybe you can describe what you think the difference is and I can help you understand where you are incorrect.
"Hotspot" used to be a premium feature that your cellular provider had to enable on your phone. There ARE some devices that are dedicated portable WIFI devices. These are devices that can't do audio or video like a phone can. ALL they can do is provide WIFI connectivity from a cellular source.

Jun 8, 2020
I am need of a device that provides internet access.

Can you please list some examples of dedicated devices - such devices' SOLE purpose is to provide internet while on-the-go

kanewolf

Titan
I am need of a device that provides internet access.

Can you please list some examples of dedicated devices - such devices' SOLE purpose is to provide internet while on-the-go
Your cellular provider will have a list and you need a second SIM card for the dedicated device. For example -- https://www.verizon.com/internet-devices/verizon-jetpack-mifi-8800l/
Maybe this article will help explain where I am missing something -- https://internet-access-guide.com/key-information-on-using-a-mifi-router/

Jun 8, 2020

That's the pic to my error message - I would gladly take a screenshot for a more clearer message .. but my laptop can't access my hotspot

In this online article, it ironic sparks a question that I was hoping to have answered originally via ...

" ... The hotspot communicates with devices equipped with wireless capability using a radio signal which transmits the Internet connection to devices that are connecting to the network ... "

( There's also another sentence, following after, that may or may reiterate what you already stated - thus potentially proving your point )

whatever that may be, Its very likely I'm going to have to give my phone service provider a phone call

( Don't worry, I already had a feeling that I would )

kanewolf

Titan

( There's also another sentence, following after, that may or may reiterate what you already stated - thus potentially proving your point )

whatever that may be, Its very likely I'm going to have to give my phone service provider a phone call

The screen shot you are showing is the configuration screen to make your laptop share a network connection via WIFI. Typically this would allow you to use your laptop as a WIFI source for a phone, when the only internet source is an ethernet cable.

Hopefully you figured this out, it's a lot simpler than you were making it out to be. You want to use the hotspot from your phone, turn that on (on your phone). It will give you a wifi password. Go to your laptop wifi connections you will see your phone listed there as a wifi signal. Connect to that using the password your phone gave you. You were just looking in the wrong place on your laptop which caused all the confusion.

The article you listed is bad, it's one of those written to be basically a vehicle for ads and just repeats things several times over without being very clear about anything, I can see how it did not help you, it's written like a 4th grader would write a book report.

Reactions: bill001g
Solution