What to Do If Your Amazon Prime Delivery Is Late

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2018
I just had this issue, and the Amazon representative I spoke with said they are no longer offering the free Prime extension on late deliveries. They offered me a $5 promotional certificate to my account as "good gesture."

Dec 6, 2018
I contacted Amazon customer service through their chat app due to a late Prime Delivery. I was informed that their Prime one-month extension offer had ended 5-6 months ago. They first offered me a 5 USD promo. I expressed my disappointment, and they then offered to refund the price of the item after it had been delivered as a "one time exception."

Dec 6, 2018
My Prime order did not arrive on time. Contacted customer service via the chat app and was told the Prime Membership extension offer had ended 5-6 months ago. Was offered a USD 5 promo. Said I was disappointed. They then agreed to refund the cost of the item after it had been delivered on a "one-time basis," which I accepted as the value was greater (USD 13.95).

Dec 8, 2018
I'm adding my two cents here. The free extension to Amazon Prime was removed from six to nine months ago. It seems they are putting more barriers up. Used to be that I could email about the order and just inquire about a free month of Prime because my order was late.

Tonight, I discovered the email option was gone and I had to call them. My speculation is they do this because they know most people are afraid of asking for money (asking for a free month of Prime is like asking for money). My order did not arrive by 8 PM. It was supposed to be delivered from Dec 4 to 7th by 8 PM. Now, the scheduled delivery date is being pushed out to the 9th.

The rep did give me a $20 Amazon promo for my troubles. If he had low-balled me with an insulting $5 promo, I would have asked for the the price of my order to be free and escalated the matter up to their supervisor until I got what I wanted.

Dec 8, 2018
I just recently called about a very, very late prime package and was told they DO NOT offer free months of prime any longer. I did get a $5.00 credit on Amazon shipped items.

Dec 10, 2018
Amazon just ain't what she used to be. I have had Prime for several years; though I do get many of my items within the 2 day period, it should be ALWAYS, since I'm paying for it. Another pet peeve is that when I search for an item that says it's eligible for Prime and put it in my cart, when it's time to pay for it, lo and behold, it can't be shipped in two days. It might not even be in stock! This bait and switch really makes me crazy. And don't get me started on the prices for Prime items. I sometimes find better deals on the same items when they're NOT Prime.

Most annoying of all is that it's not easy for me to find non Amazon brand clothing items. I like real brand name items - I'm tall and not a waif - the sizes offered by the non American company vendors on the site don't usually fit me. So tired of sending things back! (Just a tip...if the face of the model isn't visible in the photo, it may not be a US manufacturer).

So I'm probably not going to continue my Prime membership since it's pretty expensive now and I'm not sure there's a benefit to it. Back in the day, I could find anything there quickly and for a great price. Now it's a chore.

tbuchser

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
New Amazon advertising suggestions:

Amazon, for when it's not really important that it arrives.
Amazon two day shipping, we hope.
Amazon when it absolutely must get there eventually.
Amazon, trying to be more like Wish.

And for this they are raising their price for Prime again.

Dec 15, 2018
I've ordered over 300 items this year with only 2 not being delivered in the one day and I received a free month both times.

XMEN_2012

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
I really find amazon prime is faster, better and consumer centric in india than any other eCommerce services. Delivery is always on time as we have 3-4 delivery agents assigned for my area and they always drop packages on time, also customer service is fair nothing to complain about but yeah they are trained Bots can't help you go out of the way.

Anyways I found this thread useful for future references but as of now it is the best in my country.

Jan 4, 2019
So yeah, this article is completely false now. Amazon doesn't give a * about upholding their shipping rates. Here's the exact convo I had:

<q>Initial Question: I just received an email saying that this order is delayed. I specifically bought a month of Amazon Prime and picked 2 day shipping because I needed this order by the end of today for my niece's birthday tomorrow. I will be really dissatisfied with my experience if I have to wait longer. Especially because the tracking details show that it was in Portland OR, but then it was shipped to Hillsboro? This makes no sense because the package is supposed to be delivered to Portland.

04:25 PM PST Venzon(Amazon): Hello, my name is Venzon. I'm here to help you today.

(Venzon literally left the convo and I had to wait for a new person?? So that's awesome!)

04:28 PM PST Krishnakanth(Amazon): Hello, my name is Krishnakanth. Please give me a moment to review the previous correspondence.

04:29 PM PST Krishnakanth: Hello Cassidy, I am really sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.
Please accept my sincere apologies in this concern.
I understand how important is this package to you.

04:30 PM PST Cassidy: I appreciate any help you can offer me, Krishnakanth.

04:31 PM PST Krishnakanth: Could you please confirm if the item is : New Nintendo 2DS XL - Orange + White With Mario Kart 7 Pre-installed - Nintendo 2DS

04:31 PM PST Cassidy: Yes, that's it.

04:35 PM PST Krishnakanth: Cassidy, as checked the package is still in transit to the station.

04:36 PM PST Krishnakanth: I will request the Logistics team for the delivery of the package at the earliest as soon as the package reaches the station.

04:37 PM PST Cassidy: Okay, thank you. So will delivery be tonight or tomorrow?

04:38 PM PST Krishnakanth: Cassidy, i cannot confirm you the exact time frame for the delivery of the package as the package is still in transit to the station, so once the item reaches the station, then the package will be out for delivery.

04:40 PM PST Cassidy: Ok

04:41 PM PST Krishnakanth: Cassidy, I'd request you to wait till tomorrow for the package.

04:42 PM PST Krishnakanth: I Don't intend to make you wait for a long time, but i request you to bear till tomorrow for the package.

04:44 PM PST Krishnakanth: If you are not receiving the package by tomorrow, please contact us back , so that we can assist you further and better in this concern.

04:44 PM PST Cassidy: Ok

04:45 PM PST Krishnakanth: Is there anything else may i help you with ?

04:45 PM PST Cassidy: No. Have a good day.</q>

You can tell how pissed off I am by the end of this conversation. Absolutely zero help. Zero consolation. They basically tell you "too bad so sad, wait until tomorrow." Which, OF COURSE, it will be here tomorrow but the point is, I paid for 2 day shipping!

It's truly ridiculous. At the very least, my shipping should have been refunded, but they just don't care.

USAFRet

Titan

Well...this article is over 2 years old. Policies change.

Jan 27, 2019
I'm also having the same issues as other state here, at least 15% of my packages arrive late. Won't be renewing my Prime membership. Now days I find my self buying more from Ebay than Amazon, Most of the time the prices are lower and items get here about the same as Amazon.
BTW, this article was written/updated on 11/2018, not 2 years ago.

USAFRet

Titan

I was just going by the original date. It has evidently been updated.
RrdNF8T.png

Feb 2, 2019
Amazon has increasingly been later and later since it's inception of Amazon Delivery Services. USPS and UPS never have an issue getting the packages to me on time but whenever it tracks as Amazon Delivery I can expect at least a 2 day delay if not more (or often it shows delivered and the image of the delivery is NOT my home).

I was happy when they would give you a month extension of Prime but since it's gotten so bad, they no longer do this (or compensate for any late packages for that matter). I will be ending my Prime membership upon it's renewal this month. It's just not worth more money for so much less in services.

You had a great product and broke it. But I guess it was just a matter of time.

Feb 4, 2019
It's a situation of "if everything is an emergency, then nothing is an emergency, because the people handling the emergencies can only be in one place at a time."

Something like 50% of all Amazon customers are now Prime members, which means half of all orders are an "emergency" for them, so they have to scramble too much and their system can't handle it.

More and more two-day deliveries are taking longer than that. I live in a rural area about 45 minutes from the Twin Cities and Amazon usually sends things via the post office, with an occasional UPS delivery.

An item that says "Get it Tuesday if you order in the next 6 hours" on its product page, and "Guaranteed Delivery Tuesday" on your shopping cart page, suddenly becomes "Delivery Estimate - Tuesday" once you've made the purchase and they have your money.

I've been a Prime customer for several years, but I'm about 95% sure I won't be renewing when it comes up in July, especially since it's gone up to $119 per year now. We'll see if things improve at all over the next few months, but I'm not holding my breath.

The thing is, the free shipping is still worth the price for me. Given as many items as I order, I'm still saving a ton of money over ordering from other places where I'll have to pay $7 to $15 shipping for every item.

There are a lot of good things about Amazon and their website itself is about the best and most complete online ordering site there is as far as the control you have over your account, comparing items, selection, customer reviews, etc. There is a lot of bad too though, with product reviews not applicable to the product you're viewing because the product on the page has changed or is offered by another seller, counterfeit items not really being what is advertised, false or fraudulent customer reviews, and the increasing frequency of delivery time problems.

I guess I'll have to go with my gut feeling when Prime renewal time comes and decide what I want to do. It's too bad because Amazon used to work flawlessly from purchase to delivery to returns and customer service, but it doesn't anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.