Question What to do LOL!?

edifice

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Hi,

So I know this is not a "usual" question but I have recently been considering upping my GPU from an MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X to an EVGA 2080 of some sort? However, I have read that my i5 6600k even when OC'd to 4.4ghz @ 1080p 144hz, would potentially, depending on the game, seriously hamper my in game FPS?

I am.overall happy with my rig I suppose as it is and I suppose I am just wanting to upgrade for the sake of it but, in Sekiro for some reason I am seeing FPS drops and despite easily hitting the recommended requirements!? LOL, hence my asking in spite of all the incompatibility there seems to be these days between the humble 4 core CPU such as mine and say an RTX 2080, would I see a performance increase or SOLID 60fps in ALL games on Ultra settings!?

I am very confused and as I've already mentioned, I am quite happy as things stand but being that we are all PC enthusiasts, I like most LOVE I stalking new hardware and seeing very noticeable results!!! I just dont want to spend over 700GBP and see either a drop due to bottlenecks or, no difference at all given the resolution etc?

Or, do I buy a Nintendo Switch and no, that's not a joke, I realise that it's a completely different platform.and not PC related at ALL but if there is no issue with my PC in all.of tour opinions and a 2080 makes no sense, GTX 1080ti are like hens teeth and are uber expensive new!!! I really want to play BotW LOL!!!

Many thanks!!!!

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well i have an i5-4690k and i play sekiro on 60fps solid no drops no nothing.
Well as you said, if you will be willing to upgrade, your CPU will hold you back in CPU demanding games.
i7-8700k with a 1080Ti would be good pair to be honest.

edifice

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Whats the rest of your specs?

I wouldnt go for a better graphics card unless you planned to upgrade your CPU. You could always see if you can get a 6700k or 7700k used from ebay or something to drop in.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. So full spec is MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 11gb, 16gb Corsair DDR4 3000, Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.5ghz. I am not in the position financially to upgrade both Mobo, CPU and GPU, as much as I'd love to LOL!! I just wondered would the CPU I have now at a locked 60fps, until I can also better that too, be possible with an RTX 2080 at Ultra or at least very high settings!? And hopefully increase performance, not worsen it!?

I am for the moment, leaning towards a Nintendo Switch, and waiting for the new AMD processors to formally be released and reviewed against the current gen of i7/i9 and see what the difference is?!

Again many thanks!!!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's not a simple question. Some games are very heavily CPU dependent, some are very heavily GPU dependent.

If you upgrade your GPU, and leave everything else the same, you will NOT see any loss of performance. Some games may see less of gain because of a CPU limitation, but there is no way that a better performing GPU put into a system, with no other changes, would ever perform worse than with the lesser video card.

This is why I hate the term bottleneck so much - people misuse it to say that if one component doesn't "exactly match" somehow an improvement will bring EVERYTHING down. It's just not so.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Hi,

Thank you for the reply. So full spec is MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 11gb, 16gb Corsair DDR4 3000, Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.5ghz. I am not in the position financially to upgrade both Mobo, CPU and GPU, as much as I'd love to LOL!! I just wondered would the CPU I have now at a locked 60fps, until I can also better that too, be possible with an RTX 2080 at Ultra or at least very high settings!? And hopefully increase performance, not worsen it!?

I am for the moment, leaning towards a Nintendo Switch, and waiting for the new AMD processors to formally be released and reviewed against the current gen of i7/i9 and see what the difference is?!

Again many thanks!!!

Yeah thats why I suggested a 6700k or 7700k from the used market, as you wouldnt need to change motherboard or anything else.

Yeah it will still give you more graphics performance, so you can have the same FPS but with higher quality settings.