Question What to do software-wise after CPU, RAM, and Motherboard replacement?

Jun 5, 2019
So I'm upgrading my PC's Motherboard, RAM, and CPU. I know how the hardware installation works as I built this PC, but I have no idea what I should do for Windows and keeping all of my files. Any help?

Old:
Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming
CPU: AMD FX: 8350

New:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x

EDIT: I have an SSD with windows and some other files on it and a hard drive with files on it both in my PC

Last edited:

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I would first associate Windows 10 with a Microsoft account so you can re-activate windows after the upgrade.
Then back up all important files to a 2nd HDD or ssd.
Then upgrade the hardware and do a clean install of Windows 10.
Install all the new Motherboard and Chipset drivers.
Then copy any necessary files (pictures, documents, favorites, etc) back to the OS drive.

Reactions: NonsenseSir
Do you need to keep the files? I would HIGHLY suggest backing up the files you want to keep and then install windows from USB onto your new PC.
If you don't want to reinstall windows:
You likely can use a program like Macrium reflect to copy the old pcs HDD to your new PCs hdd or ssd.

Reactions: NonsenseSir
Jun 5, 2019
I would first associate Windows 10 with a Microsoft account so you can re-activate windows after the upgrade.
Then back up all important files to a 2nd HDD or ssd.
Then upgrade the hardware and do a clean install of Windows 10.
Install all the new Motherboard and Chipset drivers.
Then copy any necessary files (pictures, documents, favorites, etc) back to the OS drive.
Thanks.
I have an SSD with windows and some other files on it and a hard drive with files on it. By transferring that would all data such as game data be carried over even with a new reinstall of said application/game? Also would I keep the SSD blank for windows to boot from?

Jun 5, 2019
You would need to manually look for the save game files and copy them over to your 2nd drive.
And yes when you do a clean install of Windows you will be formatting the current OS drive which will remove all files from that drive.
Could I possibly keep the drive without windows the way it is now? Or would I need to format it as well?

TRENDING THREADS