Question What to do to hide modem/router lights

darkknightrasil

Reputable
Jul 25, 2018
What Can I do to hide my spectrum router/modem? The lights are way too bright and I have an entertainment room set for pitch-black darkness so I can use LED lights to make it entertaining with my tower.

I have blackout stickers but the lights are by the ethernet ports in the back and small crevices in the front. I thought of throwing a pillowcase over but I dont want to do something that might damage the router.

Ralston18

Titan
Are you able to identify the specific make and model router? Even if its branded for the ISP.

There could be a configuration setting that allows you to turn off the LEDs.

For example (from a Linksys WRT 1900 AC router):

HOW TO DISABLE THE ETHERNET PORT STATUS LIGHTS Depending on the placement of the router in a home, you might find the lights distracting. You can easily disable the lights using Linksys Smart Wi-Fi. To disable the lights, do the follow: • Log in to Linksys Smart Wi-Fi. (See “How to connect to Linksys Smart Wi-Fi” on page 7.) • Under Router Settings, click Connectivity. • Click the Basic tab. • Under Port Lights, click the ON/OFF button.

If there is such a configuration setting you will need full admin rights to the router's configuration screens in order to make the change.

Take a look at the option /configuration screens.