[SOLVED] what to do when overclock causes crashes?

May 21, 2020
so im currently overclocking my 980 ti and ive managed to get +400 on memory making it 4050mhz. Only problem is i cant seem to get rid of crashing without decreasing core clock by -40 making core clock 1377mhz this applies without the memory overclock, so at stock i have to decrease the memory clock which seems weird to me for a stable clock. Ive increased power limit to 106 but haven't touched core voltage yet.
temps at 76-77 can also increase fan curve to make it cooler. Im using unigine to test this overclock and using msi afterburner to do it.

psu is a 600w corsair cant remember exact model
cpu is i5 9400f

What happens if you do +350 (or something else) on the memory? Does that get rid of the -40 core requirement?

76-77C means you (probably) aren't hitting thermal limits. But you could be hitting power limits, even with a 6% bump there (250W TDP *1.06 = 265W....)

Soooo...the GPU crashes even on stock core/mem clock settings? Overclocking it isn't going to improve a situation like that. You need to be able to start/revert to a state of stability in order to tweak settings.

Potentially a PSU issue?

Last edited: