[SOLVED] What to do when you try to update windows 10 but it crashes while doing so?

Mar 14, 2022
So I recently upgraded my cpu and decided to do a complete wipe of my system and start over and have a fresh install of windows 10. After about a month or two, an update came around that just can't complete for some reason. Every time I update, it will post but not boot up, then my motherboard says that its attempting a self repair and just uninstalls the update and reverts back to the version I was on. The version i'm on is "10.0.19044 Build 19044". Sometimes it gives me a blue screen error before it does the "self repairing" but I haven't gotten it in a while for some reason and a chance to get the error code to pop up. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do/try? Thank you very much!

So I recently upgraded my cpu and decided to do a complete wipe of my system and start over and have a fresh install of windows 10. After about a month or two, an update came around that just can't complete for some reason. Every time I update, it will post but not boot up, then my motherboard says that its attempting a self repair and just uninstalls the update and reverts back to the version I was on. The version i'm on is "10.0.19044 Build 19044". Sometimes it gives me a blue screen error before it does the "self repairing" but I haven't gotten it in a while for some reason and a chance to get the error code to pop up. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do/try? Thank you very much!
Confusing post.

Did you already perform a clean install of Windows a couple months ago and just now having issues with an update?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Solution
Mar 14, 2022
Welcome to the forums my friend!

The best thing you can do from this point is reinstall your OS
How To - Windows 10 clean install tutorial | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

You could try repairing the OS with a USB repair but I would sooner just go for reinstalling the OS - depending on if you have data you need to recover:
Repair Windows 10 using USB drive - Microsoft Community
Do you think I should wipe my drives then reinstall the OS or do you think I can keep my drives the way they are and just reinstall the OS on my boot drive?

Colif

Win 11 Master
no mention of sfc/dism?

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
copy/paste this command into window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter
Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files
SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Do you think I should wipe my drives then reinstall the OS or do you think I can keep my drives the way they are and just reinstall the OS on my boot drive?
How many separate drives do you have?
If you have 2 or more, and one is the windows drive, you should just have to reinstall on the windows drive. No need to wipe extra drives unless you ran programs off them. If they only have steam games, you can reuse them on new install. Most of time you don't have to start from scratch.
If you have multiple drives, it helps to only have the windows drive attached when you reinstall windows.