Question What to do with a removed motherboard's chipset heatsink?

Vineet is genius

Commendable
May 29, 2019
Hi fellas !
My younger brother is just 6 years old and he removed my motherboard's chipset heatsink....i am a nerd:confused_old::(:confused_old: when it comes to hardware so i asked my friend what to do?
He told me not to turn on my cpu and i didn't do that but i actually wanted to ask that what will happen if i run my motherboard without that heatsink and how to put it back on it as the heatsink,from the bottom, is having a thermal pad so can i simply put it back?
Please tell me how to do it and it would be a great help if you would post some info about what chipset heatsinks do
I have intel dh55tc mobo and an i3 550 processor

lynx1021

Distinguished
I see it has a metal clip that holds it down, If it was mine I would clean it off the chip and heat sink with 91% alcohol using a coffee filter, then evenly spread thin coat thermal compound with a nitrile glove. Thermal pads are hard to com by in my neighborhood unless you have a Fry's or microcenter nearby. If you run it without the heat sink it can fry your chip/board! Why is your computer open around 6yr olds? they could get hurt! Finger in fan, shocked ECT!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Paste doesn't work well on chipset heatsinks, the hold down clip/screws don't pull the heatsink in tight enough as it's designed with the thermal pad in mind.

As long as it's clean, shouldn't be an issue just replace the heatsink back on. If the thermal pad is torn or damaged, you'll need a replacement.
Light scratch won't hurt, mostly cosmetic, but if it's a deep gouge, you'll need to buff that out carefully.

As of lga1156, the ram/igpu memory controller was moved from the motherboard Northbridge chipset to the cpu. That chipset is now the pcie chipset (PCH) instead.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Paste doesn't work well on chipset heatsinks, the hold down clip/screws don't pull the heatsink in tight enough as it's designed with the thermal pad in mind.

As long as it's clean, shouldn't be an issue just replace the heatsink back on. If the thermal pad is torn or damaged, you'll need a replacement.
Light scratch won't hurt, mostly cosmetic, but if it's a deep gouge, you'll need to buff that out carefully.

As of lga1156, the ram/igpu memory controller was moved from the motherboard Northbridge chipset to the cpu. That chipset is now the pcie chipset (PCH) instead.