What to do with Card Reader that Hooks Up Via USB 2.0 Header?

mattmls00

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
I recently bought a Card Reader, assuming it would fit into a drive slot and hook up via SATA. Unfortunately, I did not even read much about it and made an excited purchase as it was a great deal. Now I have a Card Reader that I have no Idea what to do with.

It is too small to go into a drive slot as it would leave open space on the sides. Also, it is obviously too big to mount in the back of the case.

Are there any solutions that anybody knows of?

uhh, is it an external card reader?
I have a tiny cheap one i bought for like 4.99 from Fry's that's an external usb card reader.
Does it even look like you can mount it internally?
Model#/ect?
Some motherboards have internal USB ports, and there are adapter cards you can put in PCI slots that add internal USB ports.

mattmls00

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

it says internal and it has holes that look like the ones you use to secure the disk drives with screws or pins. I can provide a link it that is helpful?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820805002

Ahh, It's a 3.5 so it's meant to go into a HDD slot and not an optical drive slot.
But saying that.....
Some cases with modular frontal drives that you can take off support those, but only certain ones.
There's also this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2970S53061
(not saying you buy this one, but this is the type of thing you need.)
Just kinda lame your card reader didnt come with one.

Solution

mattmls00

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

Hey! Thank you so much!

mattmls00

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

One more thing since you seem knowledgeable, I'm not sure the wire on the reader will be long enough to reach the header. Do they make extensions for those 2.0 plugs?

mattmls00

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

Sorry if I was unclear. I meant an extension for the 10-1 plug for the header on the motherboard. I have tried searching for them and it always comes up with the kind of wires you showed me, or headphone extensions for some reason.