Question What to do with old computer

May 6, 2019
I recently got a 2007 computer for free. I don't know what they were thinking, as these parts could be sold, it works perfectly, and the case is still great (aliminium, thumbscrews, soft edges, atx form factor).

My questions are: is it more profitable to sell these individually, or as a system, maybe buying ram/a case and upgrading to win 10 to do so, is this case still good for housing modern computing equipment so i can build my first PC, is there any way to find out what all these missing specs are, case included, and can i replace the front IO board, or will it stay as usb 1.0/whatever 2007 usb port it is?

Here are the specifications of the pc, with price approximations next to them, info on system from running dxdiag command on windows xp (they still had their personal data - don't worry, I didn't look at any of it), and prices from looking at sold items on ebay (all figures in AUSTRALIAN dollars):
intel core duo 2 e6750: $5
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 512mb cache: $20
Gigabyte ga-ep35-ds3p revision unkown: $60
2 x 512mb ddr2 ram: $5
Unkown power supply: $5-15
unkown 300gb hard drive: $40

Pc case pictures here (fans all say antec, if that helps): View: https://imgur.com/a/2cFPncE
If you can, tell me what model this is, please

What I'm planning to use in my new PC, roughly (i plan to wait only a month to decide on these, and till july for my birthday):
motherboard: Asrock B450 pro4
cpu: next gen equivalent of ryzen 5 2600
gpu: next gen equvalent of rx 580
power supply: corsair CXM 550W bronze certified power supply
Ram: G skill aegis 2 x 8gb 3000 Mhz ram
storage: 1tb 960 EVO (already owned)
case: the one i've shown (already owned)

Sorry for the mess, i hope its okay. Any answers appreciated!

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is an old school Antec case.

https://www.amazon.com/Antec-Nine-Hundred-Black-Computer/dp/B000I5JHB0

Not aluminum though. Likely just a lightly colored galvanized steel.

Your new build looks fine. Though that case is somewhat dated, particularly GPU length. Shouldn't be any RX cards that get too long, but some of the high output GPUs might have trouble fitting in there.

As to what to do with the old one...that is very out of date. You could put Linux on it and use it as a web browser/e-mail box for someone. DDR2 is just a little too far back. I doubt you would find many takers even at those prices (You can buy brand new motherboards for $60, or brand new 1TB hard drives for $40 as examples)

If not that the nearest place that accepts electronics for recycling or re-use. In my town we have a nice non-profit that takes in old computers, slaps Windows on them, and gives them away to anyone that asks. (They make money by recycling everything else)

Agree linux is the only way to go on those old C2Ds, I have a couple running at my parents house (my old game rigs), an e4500@3ghz and a Celeron E3400 (stock 2.6ghz) both with 4gb ram, with an HD 4670 and HD 5670 1gb respectively as HTPCs and they work well for legacy games like the old source games (HL2 & mods, Garry's mod, Postal 2, original Red Orchestra, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, etc).

You could post it on Freecycle and see if there is a poor college student or someone's kids in need.

May 6, 2019
Thanks for the replies! With this new information, i think i'll try selling the old computer online for 60-100 australian dollars after giving it linux a case and 4gb ram. If i cant sell it, give it away. Thank you for the case specifications, they help alot.