Question what to do with spare computer?

pa261639

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2014
I have an old gaming PC that I was thinking of turning into a server as I am new to IT and want to learn all I can about Networking and Servers. The PC I was going to use has a Phenom II 955 Black CPU with 8 gigs of ram and an R9 270. Would this work for what I am wanting to do with it? Should I upgrade the CPU? Also, what programs does anyone suggest I use?

pa261639

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2014
Have any linux experience?
I have no experience with Linux at all. A co-worker told me to try ESXi so I can play around with it but I do not know if it is limited to only Windows or not. I thought about putting Linux on it but would that limit what I could do with the PC? Its currently running Windows 10 and I figured keeping running Windows would allow for greater compatibility but I guess that depends on what I plan on doing with it.

You don't need to upgrade anything on that system to play around with Linux or running it as a server.
Windows 10 is not something you run a server on (unless you are talking about something like a game hosting server for friends), so having Win 10 on it does not matter much.