[SOLVED] What to do with the Google Pixel C tablet?

May 31, 2019
I purchased the Google Pixel C tablet a few months ago since I needed an android tablet for work (I'm self-employed). I find out now that the tablet is no longer receiving updates from Google.

What do you guys think I should do with the tablet? I liked it since it was light and had a nice hard case that protected the display.

Solution
Also, depending on what you're using it for, and more specifically whether you have any real need for security to be as absolutely tight as possible, the device could be perfectly usable as is into the foreseeable future.

Most Android devices, smartphones or tablets, remain fully operational for the owner's intended purposes long after support for the Android version on them is over. I was using an Android device with Froyo on it as an MP3 player for years after it had stopped being used for anything else.

Even if the device is used for work, provided the work tasks aren't of a nature that require high security, it could serve its purpose for a long time yet.

Ley

Honorable
May 1, 2016
If it's no longer getting official upgrades, then you can root it and install custom ROMs. By doing this, you'll increase the lifespan of your tablet by a ton.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Also, depending on what you're using it for, and more specifically whether you have any real need for security to be as absolutely tight as possible, the device could be perfectly usable as is into the foreseeable future.

Most Android devices, smartphones or tablets, remain fully operational for the owner's intended purposes long after support for the Android version on them is over. I was using an Android device with Froyo on it as an MP3 player for years after it had stopped being used for anything else.

Even if the device is used for work, provided the work tasks aren't of a nature that require high security, it could serve its purpose for a long time yet.

Reactions: Ley
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
What do you guys think I should do with the tablet? I liked it since it was light and had a nice hard case that protected the display.
Keep using it until it actually dies.
Until there is some major vulnerability for it that google has not/will not address with an update, just use it.

There is little reason to toss it, or go through major hoops in rooting it.
Rely mostly on the squishy thing between your ears, and you should be fine.

May 31, 2019
Last tablet I rooted was a Moto back in 2011. It's been a while since I did that. To root so I can get Android 9 seems much more complicated. I just use the apps and occasionally browse. Nothing more.

TRENDING THREADS