What to download on a brand new computer

geranim0

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
Hi, I just finished my computer build and I was wondering what I need to download. My PC is running fine, but is there things I could download to make it even faster?

My build is:

CPU: i5 4690k
GPU: hd 7970
Motherboard: msi z97 gaming 5
Wifi adapter: tl-wdn4800
SSD: 850 evo samsung 500gb

What should I download for each component to optimize my pc? And where? Is there any centralized thing where I can download all at once or I have to go on the website of each manufacturer and download everything they suggest? In this case is there some things they suggest I should avoid downloading?

Thanks!!

Everything you download on to your new computer will slow it down. The less it has running, the faster it will run. So long as it has up-to-date drivers for every piece of hardware in the box and it has adequate memory and cooling, it's probably the best it gets.

Operating System to start with.

Then updated motherboard and graphics card (if you have one) drivers.

After that then an anti virus, Outlook (or whatever for email), Word etc for officework, printer software (if you use one)

Then maybe Afterburner - to run your graphics card, games, web browser (if you don't like what you've already got)

geranim0

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
I understand that I need not to install too much things, but if there are things supposed to speed things up, I should download them right? I hate this because There are a bunch of software on each of the manufacturers websites and I don't know which are good and which are not as good and can be avoided. Example the killer networking with the msi motherboard... I downloaded it, but I don't know what it does... and boots every time... Same thing with intel rapid storage technology. Don't know what it does but the word rapid made me download it