What To Expect From Android L, Nexus 6, Nexus 9, Android TV and Wear 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningStryk17

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Android L seems beyond awesome! IOS is already behind Android and this will make IOS look even more restrictive and childish. Android is a real operating system and not a glorified APP launcher like IOS.

These kind of comments are why I hate tomshardware any more, and why I hardly ever come back to this site. Such an elitist attitude.

lancelot123

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Android L seems beyond awesome! IOS is already behind Android and this will make IOS look even more restrictive and childish. Android is a real operating system and not a glorified APP launcher like IOS.

These kind of comments are why I hate tomshardware any more, and why I hardly ever come back to this site. Such an elitist attitude.
Let me guess. You're waiting in line for the iPhone 7 right now aren't you?

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

If you can't handle light fanboying then you are entirely too sensitive and must hate all tech sites with a comments section. He didn't even insult users, he merely stated his opinion, an opinion you'll see echoed by many others on similar articles at engadget, gizmodo, ars technica, etc all across the internet.

As for the article, I am beyond excited by all of this except for the Nexus 9. It seems to have a curiously low resolution, same as some phones and noticeably less than the aged Nexus 10. Of course it's around the same res as the 12 inch Surface Pro 3, and everyone seems okay with it there, so it'll probably be more than acceptable. I hope Cyanogen moves quickly and gets L on the OnePlus One so I can enjoy it soon. I'm just starting to get used to a 5.5 inch phone, but I look forward to messing around with a Nexus 6. I've been waiting for awhile to pull the trigger on an Android Wear watch [partly because I'm waiting for the LG G watch R], hopefully they make some meaningful improvements so it's a little less swipey and a little more intuitive.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
@ohim, I think this could confuse people and I see your point. The first image is kind a blue and empty. It's not really what I except when I want to hear about Android L. Android L give many good change but you must know them before read this article. It's just a bad image, like there are similar image for show iOS settings. Like they won't sell me the OS with that image. I recommend to go read about new features in Android L... it's good change who is not written here because the article is about HTC Nexus. I do like that they do with the Nexus but I hoped a new 5 po Nexus with "Tango Project" camera. Perhaps I'll have to wait one more year to see that happens.

chriz78

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
I have to agree with ohim. First Windows 8, then iOS 7, now Android L, with these ugly colors and flat UI. At least the shadows might look nice.

I hope the rumors are wrong and the Nexus 6 doesn't have a 5.9" screen; I would have preferred another 5 inch screen. I suppose I will have to look for a different phone then.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

The irony here is some phone fanboy bragging about a rinky-dink app based phone OS - any phone OS - being a "real operating system." Go figure, they are all glorified app launchers. You're like a man with a sick goat claiming that your goat produces more milk than another guy's anemic sheep.

You want to brag about a "real operating system'"? Stop talking about phones. It's laughable.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Oh please... By that reasoning, the XBOX One has a "real" operating system since it is built around a Windows kernel. I suppose you consider it to have more of a "real" OS on par with full Windows, major Linux distros, and OSX, as far as functionality goes? The line of reasoning you seem to be putting forward is "the software is based on an X kernel, with X being a full blown OS, therefore the software is a full blown OS." This reasoning is patently ridiculous, as it's clear neither the XBOX One OS nor Android have nearly the functionality of the traditional "full blown" OS's, but said reasoning would put them all on the same level.

On a scale of overall functionality, let's say that IOS is a 2 or a 3. Android would be, comparatively, between a 3 and a 4. Windows/OSX/major Linux distros would likely be somewhere between 8's and 10's. Debate the numbers, but when you're talking about "fully functional OS's," Android and iOS are *both* several leagues behind proper OS's, which is precisely what I was getting at. "My crippled glorified app launcher is better than your crippled glorified app launcher - it's a REAL operating system!" No it's not... It's just a slightly less crippled glorified app launcher and it can hobble along beside iOS, Windows phone, firefox OX, and whatever Blackberry is doing, in envy of what a real OS can do. I just find it ridiculous to see some phone fanboy trying to contrast one crippled phone OS against another as a "real OS"...

"Built around a kernel" does not equal "the same level of functionality as the OS of the kernel." To pretend otherwise is just disingenuous.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

It's an obvious troll attempt but I have to ask, what's the name you reported for? I'm rereading and trying to figure out where I let a "nincompoop," "idiot" or "ignoramus" drop and I'm missing it...

Glass User

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Google tv is still awesome. The lg didn't come with a box and their magic remote worked great. Google TV games are pretty good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS