[SOLVED] What to get, NVME or SSD?

Lutfij

Titan
You're also going to have to share your system's specs with us in order for us to understand if you'll be able to extract the performance from the drives. There are a lot of people who drop a SATA 3 SSD onto a SATA 2 port and wonder they did wrong. Similarly, there are some who drop an NVMe drive on an M.2 slot that only operates at SATA 6G speeds.

Sep 16, 2019
You're also going to have to share your system's specs with us in order for us to understand if you'll be able to extract the performance from the drives. There are a lot of people who drop a SATA 3 SSD onto a SATA 2 port and wonder they did wrong. Similarly, there are some who drop an NVMe drive on an M.2 slot that only operates at SATA 6G speeds.
Ohh sorry, im building from stratch so i've got no current system. But i'll get something like this, havn't deciced fully yet.

CPU: R5 3600, MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX / Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE, RAM: 3200 g.skill cl14, SSD: Samsung Evo 970 Evo Plus 1TB, PSU: Corsair VS650 650W (v)

OR
CPU:
i-5-9600k / i-7-9700k, MOBO: MSI Z390-A pro/ Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, SSD: Samsung Evo 970 Plus 1TB, PSU: Corsair VS650 650W (v), COOLER: Master Hyper 212 EVO

EDIT: GPU for both build will most likely be a RX 5700 XT Sapphire Nitro + OC

Last edited:
NVMe is SSD, the other one is SSD too but connected to SATA port instead of M.2. Speed difference comes from the port used, NVMe has much higher bandwidth than SATA. In my experience, speed difference is small in most usage scenarios but visible specially in heavy work loads. You can do much more work on faster disk, for instance, copy a large file from/to it while still being able to open files and start programs from it. Another example is when updating windows on 960 evo I can still use computer normally but when I do same thing on a SATA SSD, computer is hardly usable until it finishes update.

Reactions: Victornf
Sep 16, 2019
For a strictly gaming system, you won't see any real benefit with the 970.

Options:
Intel 660p (NVMe)
or
Samsung 860 EVO (SATA III)
or
Crucial MX500 (SATA III)

More space per $$, and no real diff in gaming.
Thank you!

Intel 660p (NVMe) seems to be the best bang for the bucks :D thanks again !

Can I ask another question? How long do you think 1TB will last? Won't be using a HDD but i don't think that i'll buy more than 7 games a year at tops.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you!

Intel 660p (NVMe) seems to be the best bang for the bucks :D thanks again !

Can I ask another question? How long do you think 1TB will last? Won't be using a HDD but i don't think that i'll buy more than 7 games a year at tops.
Last as in space, or last as in durability?

Space is all up to you. Add more drives if you need to.
Durability = years and years

Reactions: Victornf
Sep 16, 2019
Thank you all!

You are all champions! Got my answer within 20 minutes even though I was missing a lot of infomration in my orignial post.

How do I announce the thread solved?

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Ohh sorry, im building from stratch so i've got no current system. But i'll get something like this, havn't deciced fully yet.

CPU: R5 3600, MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX / Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE, RAM: 3200 g.skill cl14, SSD: Samsung Evo 970 Evo Plus 1TB, PSU: Corsair VS650 650W (v)

OR
CPU:
i-5-9600k / i-7-9700k, MOBO: MSI Z390-A pro/ Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, SSD: Samsung Evo 970 Plus 1TB, PSU: Corsair VS650 650W (v), COOLER: Master Hyper 212 EVO

EDIT: MOBO for both build will most likely be a RX 5700 XT Sapphire Nitro + OC

Are you really going to trust a VS series PSU (lowest quality, rock bottom) with those expensive pc parts? They are notoriously bad with countless disputes of breaking down builds.