trigerhappy25

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
PC specs:
CPU - fx 8370
GPU - R9 290
RAM - 32GB 1866mhz DDR3
Motherboard - MSI 970

So basically I'm only 15 and I was looking into getting a new GPU because at the beginning of the year I got the r9 290 and I can tell you know it is the worst card I have EVER owned I can't play many games without my card thermal throttling no matter what graphics settings or clock that I put my GPU at.

So I have a number of questions do I
A. Should I get a GTX 1070 or a Vega 56 thing is I have read some features are locked behind Ryzen also does the 56 thermal throttle?

B. Do I wait until the rumored GTX 1070ti releases.

C. What is better a PS4 Pro CPU or my fx 8370 cos I want to get Earth Defense Force 5 tho I can only assume it's very CPU intensive.

D. Do I wait until Nvidia release the GTX 20xx (surly it would be like Q2 next year?).

E. I could possibly get a GTX 1080 for Christmas(but that would be pushing it a.k.a I doubt that would happen.

F. Also what PC component could I get for £200(give or take an extra £20 could be given as leeway).

Before someone tells me to get a new CPU because these cards will bottleneck I have gotta respond with the fact that to get a decent upgrade(I'll use Ryzen as an example) I would need something like an R5 1600(minimum) a new motherboard and I would prefer to have AT LEAST 16GB of RAM(I'm pretty RAM intensive) and I just don't have the money. Also as I said I can't really play any games because of my GPU so that is why a GPU is top priority.

Sorry if this was a bit much but any help would be a pretreated!

Thanks.

Solution
You are looking at this with the wrong perspective.

Yes a 1060 has near the same performance as a fully functioning 290 does, but yours is not fully functioning.
Thus a 1060 is better then your card in your current rig.
Spending $450-500 dollars on an overpriced 1070 does not help you when your PC cant utilize any of the extra performance.

Thus the 1060 will result in the best gameplay performance per $$ being spent.

The other option is to fix the real problem of your thermal throttling and get a better cooling solution for your CPU and computer case.
Also depending on what 970 chpset board you have, the VRMs of the board could be causing thermal problems as well. Different 970 boards have much different overclock abilities.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A. Gtx1070.
B. Don't bother waiting, the 1070 is plenty for 1080p/144Hz, 1440p/60Hz, 1080p/60Hz. Your cpu will see limits with a stronger gpu on a lower res/refresh monitor.
C. Stick with what you have, any performance difference is so negligible between those am3+ cpus that it's not worth the cash to change them out.
D. You are miserable now. In 6 or more months, maybe as much as a year or more, you'll be so out of your mind frustrated you'll be using the pc as a target in a shooting gallery. So I'd not wait.
E. A 1080 won't help you now. It won't help you with a low res/refresh monitor, it'll only hurt as high fps drives cpu usage through the roof. If you had a 1440p/144Hz monitor, I'd say go for it.
F. Regular 6Gb Sata 3 ssd @250Gb as boot drive. SanDisk ssd+, Samsung 850evo, Crucial MX300, don't matter really, whatever is on sale (as long as it's decent, of course, so no Chinese off-brand stuff).
Good cpu cooler. OC the pants off that fx, your games will thank you.
G. Sell that 290 on eBay asap. It's still pulling decent prices from wannabe crypto-miners. Another reason to not wait on gpus, you'll be headed into New release premium prices with little return on the old gpu. Swap now while the older 290 is the card pulling premiums.
There are some sales where a 1080 is actually cheaper than a 1070, and while the bigger card has a few drawbacks, it's nothing you won't be able to live with, so get the better card if it's cheaper.

For an 8370, a GTX 1060 6GB is all you are going to be able to handle without bottlenecking

A 1070 or Vega will both be bottlenecked by that setup (so a 1070ti or 1080 would be even worse).

You also did not list a very important component, the PSU (which could be the source of your GPU issues).

trigerhappy25

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017

My PSU is a corsair 850watt series HX (I completely forgot to post that ) and I'm pretty sure that's enough for the card (If I remember rightly at max load my PC pulls about 763 watts max). Also the reason I said the 1070 not 1060 is because in stuff like video editing(I do media) and the fire strike benchmarks(I think that's what you call it) my GPU actually gets a higher score than my friends 1060(until it thermal throttles) also benchmarks online tend to show the 290 preforming better(I know there synthetic but it shows the performance difference) also cos of mining a 1060 is like £300(too pricy in my opinion).

Thanks for the input tho:)

You are looking at this with the wrong perspective.

Yes a 1060 has near the same performance as a fully functioning 290 does, but yours is not fully functioning.
Thus a 1060 is better then your card in your current rig.
Spending $450-500 dollars on an overpriced 1070 does not help you when your PC cant utilize any of the extra performance.

Thus the 1060 will result in the best gameplay performance per $$ being spent.

The other option is to fix the real problem of your thermal throttling and get a better cooling solution for your CPU and computer case.
Also depending on what 970 chpset board you have, the VRMs of the board could be causing thermal problems as well. Different 970 boards have much different overclock abilities.

Solution

trigerhappy25

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
I should also mention my cooling before I forget:
1 120mm fan at bottom front of case, 2 140mm fans at the side, 2 120mm fans at the top of the case and 1 120mm fan at the back and a 120mm aio radiator for CPU at back as well.

trigerhappy25

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
None of my setup is overclocked (don't plan too) my CPU runs 58 degree centigrade under load my GPU runs 95 degree centigrade but if my room was under say 19 degree centigrade

trigerhappy25

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
Sorry clicked post by accident whoops. If my room was bellow a certain temp my GPU won't thermal throttle anymore(instead of running at 95 degree under load it could be as low as 74 degrees Celsius thing is its only that temp late at night in the day my room is hitting the 30's(that's really hot at least in the UK were its usually pretty damn cold).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm trying to figure out where you possibly get an almost 800w load from. Especially with no OC.
Cpu 125
Gpu 300
Mobo, fans drives 100w
That's a 500-550w load at absolute maximums, which is about impossible to physically achieve. Generally you'll be running games about 350-400w. 763w is not right.
Regardless, that HX is plenty for your sysyem or anything else.
120mm aio on an 8370 at stock clocks is fine, it's basically the same as a hyper212. They usually run about 140-150w TDP, and on a 125w cpu that's not seeing 100% loads, it's no worries. OC won't get far though, 4.1-4.3GHz is about it.
Bottom fan should be intake. If the 2x side fans are low then intake, if they are high then set as exhaust. Top fans exhaust, rear fan/aio as exhaust. Those side fan orientation is important. Being 140mm they put out considerably more air than a 120mm. So if they sit high in the case, they need to be exhaust or what you end up with is a ton of air pushed in high, swamping the 120mm's ability, basically ruducing the case airflow below the fans (gpu area) to almost nothing, the gpu cooks in its own exhaust. So high fans need to be exhaust. Low fans sitting at or below the gpu should be intakes, where the gpu will eat up the given air, the exhaust of which goes up to the draw of the top fans.
Gtx1060/6 or gtx1070 is your choice, both perform better than what you have now, and neither one can be equated to a portable oven like the R9 290.
The MSI 970 Gaming is rated to handle the FX9590, by comparison a FX8370 at stock clocks is chump change.

Consideration: its an fx cpu. It's pretty weak IPC at stock clocks will limit its power when paired with a decent gpu. So the r9 290/gtx1060-6 is about as much as it can reliably handle. To get any benefits out of the gtx1070 will almost assuredly mean needing at least some OC, the higher the better, or the cpu will become a limiting factor.