Macsnow

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Hey, I'm building a new system and getting the parts on Monday, and I'm still undecided on what to get. So I figured I'd come and ask for a hand on choosing the better option (or name another board?).

At this point in time, I've pretty much narrowed it down to two set up's, them being:

-Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 (Socket 1155).
-CPU: Intel Core I5-2500K.

OR

-Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula (AM3+).
-CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1100t.

Is the AMD board better overall (and more future proof), or is the Sabertooth a better pick? I'm really struggling to make my mind here, so any comments would be appreciated. Let me say I might go with a SLI in the future, but never more then 2 cards.

I'm also planning on going with a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (with a second fan later on, say two weeks time), would it be enough to overclock and keep my temps down low? Or should I go for the Cooler Master V6GT cooler? These are my only two options for coolers.

Anyways, thanks in advanced for any comments you have to give. :D

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
Well as you can see, not much response.

The problem is you are asking for a comparison of Intel vs AMD and the two systems you have chosen are both very good top end builds. We have had WARS over which is better, Intel or AMD, and they both have their pros and cons.

My suggestion is to look real hard at the applications you intend to use this PC for and see if you can chose the platform you believe will best serve you. :sol:

Macsnow

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
@saint19 Thanks for the welcome ^^

Well yeah, needed a rig for the end of this week... so I went along with the Intel choice. I really like both, but performance wise Intel walks all over AMD (don't take this the wrong way, both are top notch and will get the job done).

Making this choice took me around a week of intense, heavy researching and going through reviews one after the other, to finally decide the Sandy Bridge will give me a couple of years (hopefully a few) before I have to upgrade.

Thanks guys for the time you took to answer :)