What to look for in a MAME?

I want to buy a MAME machine for my game room and was wondering what I
should look for in a completed unit. I found one for sale locally and
wanted to get some info before going to look at it. The seller says it
has the Windows version with about 5000 games from a 9 DVD set he
ordered. I am waiting on details of the computer in it. It has a two
player x-arcade joystick. What would be a fair price for a unit like
this? Thanks for any advice.

kaz1961 wrote:
> I want to buy a MAME machine for my game room and was wondering what I
> should look for in a completed unit.

Control panel design such as number of buttons , sticks etc. Will it play
all the games you want.
Control panel interface - is it an I-pac , J-pac , keyboard hack etc. Will
it be easy to change the setup or troubleshoot in future.
Monitor - is it an arcade monitor , PC monitor , does it have any screen
burn etc.
PC spec - does it have a fast enough processor , memory , hard drive etc to
play and store all the games you want. Many of the pre-built cabs I've seen
use some old desktop pc that will be fine for pacman but not much in the way
of recent games. Thats not to say that one with an old PC is automatically a
bad buy as you could always replace the PC if you get it cheap enough.
Is the PC in a case so it could be easily swapped out if needed. Does it
have a network card or cd/dvd drive for loading new games.

I wouldn't worry about if it actually comes with any games as it's easy
enough to get hold of a complete set.
--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk