[SOLVED] What to look for in a motherboard?

Pcgolfer07

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
Usually what are some of the features to look for in a motherboard in 2020?

If I want bluetooth connectivity and wifi card built into the motherboard, then can you suggest something to me?

I'm currently thinking about getting the MSI X299M because it's a micro atx motherboard that supports this i9-10920X Processor. Is there anythig better or is it a good enough motherboard? Primary use if for video editing and light gaming.

Solution
Depends entirely on the software. If using Maya, that's highly single threaded, so takes full advantage of Intel ability, IPC, clock speeds etc. Other programs don't.

Not the best video, but as you can see, the 10920X isn't all that great, overshadowed many times by the 10940x and the 3950x
View: https://youtu.be/BM9QE0wzwd8

What do I look for in a mobo? Heavy duty enough to handle anything I personally might throw at it, enough connections/headers to cover my imagined system, maybe with a few extras for future changes. A bios I can work with. Some gimmicks that I might find interesting to use.

Some things I deem unimportant. Wifi being one. Add in cards can do it better, and add in cards are...

tequiling

Prominent
May 2, 2020
I would go with ryzen 9 3950x for a cpu because it has more cores and cache great for gaming and cheaper than i9
For the motheboard try to find something like:
MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX
Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) Micro ATX

Or something from asus rog series or something like that

Pcgolfer07

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
I would go with ryzen 9 3950x for a cpu because it has more cores and cache great for gaming and cheaper than i9
For the motheboard try to find something like:
MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX
Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) Micro ATX

Or something from asus rog series or something like that
Yes but it's just going to be light gaming and more of a video editing machine.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp9glW_YCvs
- Intel seems to be better at video editing though

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends entirely on the software. If using Maya, that's highly single threaded, so takes full advantage of Intel ability, IPC, clock speeds etc. Other programs don't.

Not the best video, but as you can see, the 10920X isn't all that great, overshadowed many times by the 10940x and the 3950x
View: https://youtu.be/BM9QE0wzwd8

What do I look for in a mobo? Heavy duty enough to handle anything I personally might throw at it, enough connections/headers to cover my imagined system, maybe with a few extras for future changes. A bios I can work with. Some gimmicks that I might find interesting to use.

Some things I deem unimportant. Wifi being one. Add in cards can do it better, and add in cards are never obsolete. Add in cards are replaceable, upgradable, board wifi is none of the above. You are stuck with its presence until you get an add in card.

RGB, another useless concern. You'll pay extra for ARGB ability over RGB and then be limited to 1-2 headers. Can't say how many posts of ppl buying a motherboard, trying to hook up 3pin argb fans to a 4pin rgb header, but idiot vendors keep calling the lighting RGB and conviently ignoring the Addressable part. Me, just as easy to treat lighting as an add on, I can get the the fans that match the controller box, powered by software via USB. Can mix and match as I choose, not restricted by motherboard headers, locations, specifics. And don't have to add $100 to the price of the mobo for those limitations either.

But that's me, and I could easily stretch this out 3 pages lol.

Last edited:
Solution