[SOLVED] What to look for when buying ram?

ck4life_tweets

Honorable
Dec 3, 2014
Hello, I am in the market to buy ram. I have 16 GB DDR3 Ram, and want to upgrade to have 24 GB.

I found a used 16GB DDR3 Ram stick for just $30 (maybe I could find one cheaper? :))and wanted to know if their is anything I need to know before I purchase it. I'm not a huge gamer or anything so I don't really know much about upgrading parts. :(
  1. Could I keep my current 8GB DDR3 RAM stick and add the 16GB DDR3 Ram in the other slot
  2. Does the company of the ram or those little numbers on it matter, or is any DDR3 Ram acceptable?
  3. Is it better to just buy 24GB ram combination (2 16GB sticks)
  4. Is it easy to self install? I'm not sure if computer repair stores are open during this time, but if not, how easy is it to DIY?

Solution
  1. Could I keep my current 8GB DDR3 RAM stick and add the 16GB DDR3 Ram in the other slot
  2. Does the company of the ram or those little numbers on it matter, or is any DDR3 Ram acceptable?
  4. Is it easy to self install? I'm not sure if computer repair stores are open during this time, but if not, how easy is it to DIY?
  1. Yes you can, although you may not be able to run dual channel in this configuration.
  2. Yes, both of these matter, but mainly the little numbers--those numbers should match, especially timing and voltage. Even if they do not, if they can work together with common settings, they will work together, however not optimal this might be...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, I am in the market to buy ram. I have 16 GB DDR3 Ram, and want to upgrade to have 24 GB.

I found a used 16GB DDR3 Ram stick for just $30 (maybe I could find one cheaper? :))and wanted to know if their is anything I need to know before I purchase it. I'm not a huge gamer or anything so I don't really know much about upgrading parts. :(
24GB is not a good combination on any current system. Your best and most stable option is to buy a 32GB kit (2 x 16GB) and replace whatever RAM you have.

First, you shouldn't mix RAM modules, since there is a 50% chance that it could not work.
24GB is not a good combination.
You should get RAM that it is compatible with your platform (motherboard).
To avoid issues, if supported, get a 32GB (2x 16GB) kit.
Could you post your motherboard and CPU?

ck4life_tweets

Honorable
Dec 3, 2014
First, you shouldn't mix RAM modules, since there is a 50% chance that it could not work.
24GB is not a good combination.
You should get RAM that it is compatible with your platform (motherboard).
To avoid issues, if supported, get a 32GB (2x 16GB) kit.
Could you post your motherboard and CPU?

My CPU is an AMD FX6300 and my motherboard is GA-78LMT-USB3

1. Yes you can, although you may not be able to run dual channel in this configuration.
  2. Yes, both of these matter, but mainly the little numbers--those numbers should match, especially timing and voltage. Even if they do not, if they can work together with common settings, they will work together, however not optimal this might be.
  3. Yes, better to buy 32gb, but it really depends on if you need the fastest memory access or just more memory. If more memory is more important than it being the fastest, you can run 24 and still get a big improvement.
  4. Yes, memory is one of the easiest and quickest self-install upgrades. However, if this is your first attempt, you should read as much as you can about how to do it, the cautions and caveats, as well as all the precautions. Because while easy, it also only takes one wrong step to ruin your memory, your system, or both.

Solution
I always ask, because some users might think more RAM translate into faster speed and they just might need to swap their HDD with a SSD.
Before recommending something, I like to make sure it will be of benefit.
Not everyone is an eminence like your highness.
The problem is though is that when you've got an older platform, there's no reason to not max out everything you can because it will still be behind. So if it can take 32GB and if that's affordable enough without compromising something else, sure go for it. Agree with you that it's important to make sure it will do what the OP wants though--very good point worth asking about.

TRENDING THREADS