[SOLVED] What to prepare before changing motherboard and CPU?

Circular_1

Reputable
Nov 2, 2016
My plan is to move my SSD from the old CPU and Motherboard to newer ones without reinstallation. I had searched around and it looks like I need to change HDD and SSD drivers to generic ones, uninstall AV software, uninstall graphics drivers, and using Sysprep before swapping? Are these steps the must in your experience? Are there any other recommended steps too? And for booting, will it work by just using UEFI and using the same drive for booting?

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: Krotow
Solution
My plan is to move my SSD from the old CPU and Motherboard to newer ones without reinstallation. I had searched around and it looks like I need to change HDD and SSD drivers to generic ones, uninstall AV software, uninstall graphics drivers, and using Sysprep before swapping? Are these steps the must in your experience? Are there any other recommended steps too? And for booting, will it work by just using UEFI and using the same drive for booting?
You can try moving the OS from one mobo to another.
Prepare for a fresh install of the OS/drivers/apps.

Will not happen. Though you certainly can transfer old system drive to new system or clone it to new drive. However with changing major hardware like MOBO system may not boot anymore. Or begin to glitch with learning about glitch causes being hard or impossible. As @USAFRet above mentioned existing Windows activation also will defunct. I would not bother about cloning, but simply would reinstall system on new drive and activate it again.

Keep in mind that OEM Windows licenses are not transferable to new system. If your existing system came with preinstalled Windows (OEM license), you require to purchase a new Windows license for your new system.

My experience with this is that windows 10 is quite amenable to such a swap.
The more similar the original is to the target, the more likely you are to succeed.
If your original windows 10 license is retail, you should have no problem with activation.
If it was oem, you may not be able to activate. and will nave to buy a new license to activate.
Even then, only personalization will be blocked, and there will be a windows activate watermark present on the lower right part of your screen.
If reinstalling apps and settings is a chore, you can give it a try.
If you have any data you value, protect yourself first with external backup.
Assuming you can boot, then install the new cpu/motherboard chipset and device drivers.
There is probably no need to uninstall previous drivers.
They will remain present, but unused.

If the old/new are sufficiently different, it may not boot and you will need to plan on a clean new windows install.

Circular_1

Reputable
Nov 2, 2016
My experience with this is that windows 10 is quite amenable to such a swap.
The more similar the original is to the target, the more likely you are to succeed.
If your original windows 10 license is retail, you should have no problem with activation.
If it was oem, you may not be able to activate. and will nave to buy a new license to activate.
Even then, only personalization will be blocked, and there will be a windows activate watermark present on the lower right part of your screen.
If reinstalling apps and settings is a chore, you can give it a try.
If you have any data you value, protect yourself first with external backup.
Assuming you can boot, then install the new cpu/motherboard chipset and device drivers.
There is probably no need to uninstall previous drivers.
They will remain present, but unused.

If the old/new are sufficiently different, it may not boot and you will need to plan on a clean new windows install.
Thank you, that is my plan if it failed. I'd assume even with boot loop, you can just use boot USB to reinstall, correct? Or will CMOS clear be a must?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've had mostly good luck doing board swaps.

i7-7700k -> i9-10900F, zero issues with Windows 10
4770k-> i7-7700k (Failure, switching from SATA RAID to NVMe storage, couldn't get the clone to boot properly)
Athlon X2 -> i7-960 -> i7-4770k - no issues (Windows 7)
AMD E350 -> i3-4130 - no issues (ASUS to Gigabyte)

Also many more in the past.

Circular_1

Reputable
Nov 2, 2016
I've had mostly good luck doing board swaps.

i7-7700k -> i9-10900F, zero issues with Windows 10
4770k-> i7-7700k (Failure, switching from SATA RAID to NVMe storage, couldn't get the clone to boot properly)
Athlon X2 -> i7-960 -> i7-4770k - no issues (Windows 7)
AMD E350 -> i3-4130 - no issues (ASUS to Gigabyte)

Also many more in the past.
Nice, what steps do you usually take in your experience?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Take a backup, swap the parts and see how it goes. Install motherboard drivers. Had to reactivate Windows over the phone a few times, but that was about it.

For my 4770k, I just put the old drives back in, still operational. NVMe SSD got a wipe, and I installed Windows from scratch. If I recall that is the one where I installed a Windows 7 trial, waited for Windows 8 to launch, and 'upgraded' to Pro for $10, still using that license.

In the case of the e350 to Intel they even had the same realtek audio chipset. I was very surprised when I got the log in sound on first boot, found it loaded it, and acted like nothing was unusual.

Now keep in mind I run very stock systems for my main rig, it is there only to play games and the occasional side project that requires more horsepower. My HTPC sees a lot more use when it comes to more complicated stuff. Not looking forward to the upcoming re-build of that one. It has been bluescreening lately, probably needs a refresh. Been cloned a few times as well. Considering trying out a Linux distro on a fresh build and taking the Windows PC off my network. (Super tempted to get a Beast Canyon NUC with a DG2, I really hope that becomes an option)

Circular_1

Reputable
Nov 2, 2016
So....several days later...
Did this swap concept work?
Yes and no activation issues, but 3.
So far, applications I am having issues with are Intel Related Mobo Software (BSOD), VirtualBox (VM crashes upon starting), and CPU Fan Controls (It only follows curves given in BIOS but nowhere else can change it). Oddly, other VM-required software does still work. One thing to know is when I first boot into win 10, I forgot to connect one of the SSD containing all VirtualBox VMs to SATA power.

Last edited:
Yes and no activation issues, but 3.
So far, applications I am having issues with are Intel Related Mobo Software (BSOD), VirtualBox (VM crashes upon starting), and CPU Fan Controls (It only follows curves given in BIOS but nowhere else can change it). Oddly, other VM-required software does still work. One thing to know is when I first boot into win 10, I forgot to connect one of the SSD containing all VirtualBox VMs to SATA power.
Have you installed the intel me and driver software for your new motherboard?