What to put on SSD and HDD?

zpapa2309

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I have a couple questions. so i have os installed on the ssd. what else should go on there? should i put my program files(x86) on my ssd or hdd? and is there a way to have something installed on HDD from the program files and have only one moved to an SSD. like my web browser? sorry noob here

titanHUNTER

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 24, 2014
I have the same configuration and I put my Office and productivity programs on my SSD, like Office, Peachtree, Quickbooks, Adobe Acrobat Pro, @Risk, etc. I have Skyrim installed on it also. For all other programs, games and music, documents, etc I use the HDD.

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Depending on the size of the SSD, put all your programs on it. On the HDD, put all your games (if you have any) all your files like pics, vids and docs and large downloads. If you have a small SSD, like under 64 GB, you might want to consider using it as a cache drive instead. A 128 GB SSD should be able to store the OS, office and several programs that you use frequently. As someone who plays lots of games, SSDs give almost no performance increase in games except for a slightly faster load time. Most games, though, load almost the same and I have a slow WD Green HDD vs a Samsung 840 on a SATA III port.

cirdecus

Distinguished
Programs and Games typically should go on the SSD for the performance. Files that do not "run" like pictures, videos, word documents, should be stored on the HDD.

As far as installing some programs on your SSD and others on your HDD, you can do this. Just change the installation directory when you install the program/game to a new folder on your HDD (ex. "D:\Program Files" instead of "C:\Program Files"

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

...and your reply didn't add any additional beneficial info either. I must have missed the part where you mentioned using a smaller SSD as a cache drive:

I have the same configuration and I put my Office and productivity programs on my SSD, like Office, Peachtree, Quickbooks, Adobe Acrobat Pro, @Risk, etc. I have Skyrim installed on it also. For all other programs, games and music, documents, etc I use the HDD.

No, looks like I read it right. It wasn't exactly like yours. In fact, I said not to put games on an SSD at all. Last I checked, Skyrim is a game.

titanHUNTER

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 24, 2014
When asked when you first download or insert the DVD, you have the option of "custom" installation. You have to click "browse" to change the directory (drive) to the HDD instead of your SSD.

@titanHUNTER & @cub_fanatic, let's both knock off the petty bickering and keep your posts on topic.

@zpapa2309, the installer will most often give you a "custom" option for install where you will be able to change the default location to one of your choosing.

Lutfij

Titan
titanHUNTER,
Sounds exactly like the advice I gave except longer....really don't see any additional beneficial info but okay
Stop picking arguments like a child and show your wealth of knowledge as you tried doing so in a couple of other threads where you've tried to explain while understanding the OP's situation.

As moderators we are here to make sure rules are followed. If you don't like the rules, or us for that fact, you can happily contact our community manager or there are other sites where they will happily accept that sort of behavior.

cub_fanatic,
the mature tactic would be respond to the OP alone and keep the thread on topic. Please keep thread information relevant and not feed the troll.