[SOLVED] What to replace Intel SSD 240GB SSDSC2BB240G4 with on ASROCK Fatli1TY z97 Killer ?

waynewal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
what to replace intel SSD 240GB SSDSC2BB240G4 - INTEL SSDSC2BB240G4 in ASROCK Fatli1TY z97 killer
Looking at this:
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E500B/AM)

and the system only takes 1 x SSD drive at a time - need software to replace the C: drive as bootable.
er, just one is one M.2 port - multiple SATA ports have a 1Gig seagate as E:
\
Thanks!

Wayne

Last edited:
Solution
That's a 2.5 inch SATA III drive and is same form factor as 2.5" HDD that go into laptops and such. Your motherboard definitely has more SATA III ports than just the one, being a Z97.
Like this:
View: https://imgur.com/3EUfY8T

I think what you mean by just one is one M.2 port? I guess you mean that and therefore you should look for a M.2 SSD and it probably M Key and supports PCIE gen 2.
Like this:
View: https://imgur.com/sk3ixaa

You can get either type and use both. Samsung makes good SSDs.

Note: You would have to ckeck with motherboard manual as populating M.2 slots on some boards disable some SATA III ports.

You can use Smsung Magician to...

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That's a 2.5 inch SATA III drive and is same form factor as 2.5" HDD that go into laptops and such. Your motherboard definitely has more SATA III ports than just the one, being a Z97.
Like this:
View: https://imgur.com/3EUfY8T

I think what you mean by just one is one M.2 port? I guess you mean that and therefore you should look for a M.2 SSD and it probably M Key and supports PCIE gen 2.
Like this:
View: https://imgur.com/sk3ixaa

You can get either type and use both. Samsung makes good SSDs.

Note: You would have to ckeck with motherboard manual as populating M.2 slots on some boards disable some SATA III ports.

You can use Smsung Magician to manage the SSD, update firmware (if applicable) check SMART (health). Samsung also have a Data Migration Tool which can be used to migrate Windows installation and apps from one drive to another.

They live here.

Reactions: King_V and waynewal
Solution

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Thanks very much - just what I was looking for!

Wayne
No problem. Just checked your motherboard's manual here. It supports "1 M.2 (PCIe Gen2 x2 & SATA, Supports 30mm, 42mm, 60mm, 80mm, 110mm M.2 devices) ". You can use a gen3 M.2 SSD drive too but it'll work at a slower speed than when installed on a gen3 M.2 slot.

This also from the motherboard's manual website: "The M.2 Socket, SATAE_4, SATAE_5 and SATA Express share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled. " As I said above using the M.2 socket would disable those ports. Which is OK in your case as you're going to replace your Intel SATA SSD with either a SATA or an M.2.

There is also a storage QVL here which are drives that were tested on the board when it was released by ASRock. This does NOT mean you can not use newer drives on the board. Maybe you can do a quick search on internet to see what other M.2 drives people have used with this/your motherboard in recent years.

Reactions: King_V

waynewal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
No problem. Just checked your motherboard's manual here. It supports "1 M.2 (PCIe Gen2 x2 & SATA, Supports 30mm, 42mm, 60mm, 80mm, 110mm M.2 devices) ". You can use a gen3 M.2 SSD drive too but it'll work at a slower speed than when installed on a gen3 M.2 slot.

This also from the motherboard's manual website: "The M.2 Socket, SATAE_4, SATAE_5 and SATA Express share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled. " As I said above using the M.2 socket would disable those ports. Which is OK in your case as you're going to replace your Intel SATA SSD with either a SATA or an M.2.

There is also a storage QVL here which are drives that were tested on the board when it was released by ASRock. This does NOT mean you can not use newer drives on the board. Maybe you can do a quick search on internet to see what other M.2 drives people have used with this/your motherboard in recent years.

WOW ! thanks - way above my head unfortunately - all my exp with Sata and older - thanks VERY much for looking that all up!
I can now order an enclosure and give it a try. I DO have another standard 1TB drive installed as drive E and there appears to be no problem - as long as there is no conflict with cloning the new drive to use as a boot drive - will order all the stuff - and download the samsung migrating and Magician software. Just hope it's bootable when I finish cloning.

USAFRet

Titan
WOW ! thanks - way above my head unfortunately - all my exp with Sata and older - thanks VERY much for looking that all up!
I can now order an enclosure and give it a try. I DO have another standard 1TB drive installed as drive E and there appears to be no problem - as long as there is no conflict with cloning the new drive to use as a boot drive - will order all the stuff - and download the samsung migrating and Magician software. Just hope it's bootable when I finish cloning.
For the Migration, Samsung Data Migration won't migrate into an external device.
Macrium Reflect will.

waynewal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
For the Migration, Samsung Data Migration won't migrate into an external device.
Macrium Reflect will.

OMG - thanks again - am learning I need to be more specific with questions - thanks for your patience!
Will look that up! Would it be better If I got a PCI board that takes the M@ and install it into the computer?
Thank you!

USAFRet

Titan
OMG - thanks again - am learning I need to be more specific with questions - thanks for your patience!
Will look that up! Would it be better If I got a PCI board that takes the M@ and install it into the computer?
Thank you!
No....using Macrium is little different than the SDM application.
I've used both.

One critical point....after the clone/migration operation is complete, the FIRST thing you must do is physically disconnect the old drive, connect the new, and allow the system to boot from only the new drive.
This is not optional.

waynewal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Got it - so once I CLONE the old drive to new one - shut down, remove all power - swap u the M@ drives and boot only from the new one.
Will also disconnect the add on regular hard drive as well till after it boots. then do a shutdown and recoonect the E drive again
Thanks!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes that's it if you want to clone to a drive which is not internally connected to the system (like your drives are now) you have to do as USAFRet said.

Just FYI (and anyone who might read this later) I used Samsung Data Migration few years back to migrate a system drive with Windows 7. The user interface and operations were quite clear and intuitive, nothing vague.

I did clone from a 1TB HDD which was sytem drive to a SSD which was connceted internally and initialized. When clone was done disconnected the HDD and tested if the cloned SSD was OK and if it booted. When I established it's operational then formated the HDD to get rid of the boot records and old Windows installation and that was it.

USAFRet

Titan
Your current Intel drive is a 2.5" SATA III drive.
Are you looking to change to an M.2 NVMe?

Be very very sure that your Z97 can actually boot from that, and that it is PCIe 3.0 (doubtful).

On that motherboard, I would just replace the 256GB SATA III SSD with a larger SATA III SSD. Another 2.5".

Don't bother with an NVMe...you'll see little actual difference in actual performance.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Be very very sure that your Z97 can actually boot from that, and that it is PCIe 3.0 (doubtful).

This exactly why I said:
Maybe you can do a quick search on internet to see what other M.2 drives people have used with this/your motherboard in recent years.

See if people are actually using any M.2 with this board as system drive. The manual has no indication it won't work but you never know and M.2s were quite a new thing back then as the manual still calls them NGFF (Next Generation Form Factor). The QVL I linked above also has just a handulf of older low capacity M.2 drives.

I would play it safe, as USAFRet said, and get another 2.5" SATA III SSD. That way you won't end up spending on an M.2 that might not boot and the M.2 USB enclosure and/or the PCI M.2 adapter which would not be that useful honestly. I'd spend the budget for the M.2 plus the USb enclosure and the possible PCI adapter and get a good SATA III 2.5".

Also as said the M.2 being a Gen2 PCIE port as performance goes won't be that extraordinary in day to day use. I too would say this outweighs the off chance a new Gen3 M.2 won't work at all as a boot/system drive.

waynewal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Your current Intel drive is a 2.5" SATA III drive.
Are you looking to change to an M.2 NVMe?

On that motherboard, I would just replace the 256GB SATA III SSD with a larger SATA III SSD. Another 2.5".

Don't bother with an NVMe...you'll see little actual difference in actual performance.
I have a 240G M.2 in the slot on the computer already - but it's a single slot, ergo, need to buy an enclosure to clone to.
Thanks for the reply!

waynewal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
This exactly why I said:

See if people are actually using any M.2 with this board as system drive. The manual has no indication it won't work but you never know and M.2s were quite a new thing back then as the manual still calls them NGFF (Next Generation Form Factor). The QVL I linked above also has just a handulf of older low capacity M.2 drives.

I would play it safe, as USAFRet said, and get another 2.5" SATA III SSD. That way you won't end up spending on an M.2 that might not boot and the M.2 USB enclosure and/or the PCI M.2 adapter which would not be that useful honestly. I'd spend the budget for the M.2 plus the USb enclosure and the possible PCI adapter and get a good SATA III 2.5".

Also as said the M.2 being a Gen2 PCIE port as performance goes won't be that extraordinary in day to day use. I too would say this outweighs the off chance a new Gen3 M.2 won't work at all as a boot/system drive.
OK, will probably just order a SATA III SSD with an enclosure to park it in a regular HD slot slot and clone the current M.2 from that then use the new (hopefully) 1TB to boot from and run system. Looking at this unless you know of something better - https://www.newegg.com/samsung-1tb-...SSD&cm_re=SATA_III SSD-_-20-147-793-_-Product - If I get this, just use the Samsung Magician?
Thanks very much for the help - srry about the multiple questions!

waynewal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
You do NOT need an enclosure for this operation. It can be done without buying anything.

First, please verify this drive, from your first post...
"intel SSD 240GB SSDSC2BB240G4 "

Is it an M.2 SATA or 2.5" SATA?
Yes, just checked the Devices - I know the drive is in the M2 slot - THAT ID
I cloned the old HD to the SDD and installed it in the M.2 slot.

USAFRet

Titan
OK, will probably just order a SATA III SSD with an enclosure to park it in a regular HD slot slot and clone the current M.2 from that then use the new (hopefully) 1TB to boot from and run system. Looking at this unless you know of something better - https://www.newegg.com/samsung-1tb-870-evo-series/p/N82E16820147793?Description=SATA III SSD&cm_re=SATA_III SSD--20-147-793--Product - If I get this, just use the Samsung Magician?
You do not need to purchase an enclosure.

What specific drives are in this system currently?

Again, the Samsung Data Migration will not clone into an enclosure.

USAFRet

Titan

waynewal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
You do not need to purchase an enclosure.

What specific drives are in this system currently?

Again, the Samsung Data Migration will not clone into an enclosure.
ok not enclosure - a drive mount so it sits in the system like an old hard disk does.

Drives in system
C: the 240mb SSD
D: DVD r/w drive
E: WDC 1TB Regular HD

USAFRet

Titan
ok not enclosure - a drive mount so it sits in the system like an old hard disk does.

Drives in system
C: the 240mb SSD
D: DVD r/w drive
E: WDC 1TB Regular HD
And that motherboard, assuming this is a desktop, has multiple SATA ports.

If that is NOT the correct link, please give us the proper link.

waynewal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Nu
And that motherboard, assuming this is a desktop, has multiple SATA ports.

If that is NOT the correct link, please give us the proper link.
-----------------
Numbers on MB BOX - Yes desktop

Model # on Box Z97 KILLER/A/ASRK

NAME ON BOX - FATAL1TY ASROCK Z97 KILLER SERIES

1 SATA EXPRESS, 6 SATA3, 1-M.2 (gen2 x2 sata)

6 USB 3.0, 8 USB 2.0

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
OK, will probably just order a SATA III SSD with an enclosure to park it in a regular HD slot slot and clone the current M.2 from that then use the new (hopefully) 1TB to boot from and run system. Looking at this unless you know of something better - https://www.newegg.com/samsung-1tb-870-evo-series/p/N82E16820147793?Description=SATA III SSD&cm_re=SATA_III SSD--20-147-793--Product - If I get this, just use the Samsung Magician?
I checked the current Intel SSD and said in post #3 it is a SATA III 2.5". I also checked and found this here:
https://www.newegg.com/intel-dc-s3500-240gb/p/2U3-0001-00003?Description=intel%20SSD%20240GB%20SSDSC2BB240G4&cm_re=intel_SSD%20240GB%20SSDSC2BB240G4-_-2U3-0001-00003-_-Product

I think for cloning/migration of the OS/Windows you need Samsung Migration Tool which I linked above. Samsung Magician is for managing it. This from Samsung on the SSD you linked from Newegg:

Samsung Magician software

Make your drive work smoothly with enhanced Samsung Magician 6 software that helps you easily manage your drive, keep up with the latest updates, monitor the drive's health and status, or even enhance its performance.

For migration you need Samsung Data Migration Software for Consumer SSD from here:

If you get the 2.5" SATA III SSD you won't need any enclosure or adapter.

Your motherboard has 4 SATA III (6Gb/s) ports and one of them is SATA Express port (combination of 2.5 SATA ports), the 2 can be used as regular SATA III ports.

From manual here:
Storage
• 6 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, Intel Rapid Storage Technology 13 and Intel Smart Response Technology), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug
• 1 x SATA Express Connector (shared with SATAE_4, SATAE_5 and M.2_SSD (NGFF) Socket 3) * Support to be announced
• 1 x M.2_SSD (NGFF) Socket 3, supports M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen2 x2 (10 Gb/s)

Again I would play it safe and get a 2.5" drive. Yes the one you linked is a good drive.