What to study for an A+ Certification?

EchoOne

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Sorry for the wrong area,i just dont know where to post this...But my question is,What should i study for the A+ certification? Im going to try and get it this year so i can get a job in computers and it seems anywhere needs A+ i already know quite abit about computers but not everything.So what do i study? What big key points should i study? Thanks!

EchoOne :ange:

CDdude55

Distinguished
The A+ certification test emcompasses a wide range of computer related areas. You need to know a bit about computer hardware, operating systems (just Windows really) and a bit of basic networking is thrown in there as well if i recall.

I suggest picking up an A+ book to study with, otherwise you won't fully know what to expect on the test. Even if you know a lot of hardware and software, that doesn't nessicarily mean any of what you know will show up on the test. You have to look into the information what will for certain show up on there and that can only be found in one of the many books you can get to study for it. The "main" books used for Comptia cert studying are the ones written by Mike Meyers who works for Total Seminars.

If you already know a good bit about how computers work, then you already have a good base to work from and it should be pretty easy to pass the test by simply expanding on what you already know by reading the book.

8350rocks

Distinguished
A+ Certification is going to quiz you over the basic operations in Windows and where to find relevant information about the system/OS/drivers.

It is going to quiz you over things like CMOS, BIOS, RAM and CPU installation and settings, PCI/PCIe function and benefit, USB, IDE/SATA and RAID 0,1,5,10. It will also quiz you over GPUs and compatability, as well as PSU's and the testing and installation for all the aforementioned things. Diagnosing/troubleshooting problems is a big part of this as well, so knowing what symptoms are connected to which piece(s) of hardware will be key for you. A+ is not just building, it's repair and troubleshooting as well.

Networking is another thing you'll need to know. Become familiar with Novell to some degree, be sure you understand windows network protocols, installation, and setup. Knowing how to properly crimp and install connectors on network cables is something they ask about (GrWh/Blu/BluWh/Grn/BrWh/Brn/OrWh/Or...iirc)...also, you'll need basic diagnosing and setup skills for wired/wireless networks.

I do recommend an A+ Study guide...they actually make an A+ for Dummies I believe which would likely be good if some of those concepts are very foreign to you. The test is long and comprehensive. Though I haven't retested in years...I doubt that other than software/hardware nuances much has changed.

Good luck :)

twelve25

Distinguished
If only there was something that could tell you what you need to know for the test:

51Mc8yAijhL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX225_SY300_CR,0,0,225,300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

markspend001

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Hey Guys my name is Mark.According to that topic i think that A+ Qualifications is granted by Processing technology Industry Organization.The certification exams are computer based.The certification is identified by major hardware,software, and firmware producers, merchants, and support facilities.The exam code for the A+ Requirements exam is 220-701. Thanks!!

trustyaxe

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
While you are deciding on which(if any) A+ study guides to buy, I suggest going here: http://certification.comptia.org/Training/testingcenters/examobjectives.aspx. You have to fill out some info for CompTIA, but you will get the exam objectives for free to give you an idea of what to study. Most of the information is available free online or at your local library(always a good place to check). Follow the outline of what to study from the CompTIA link and start tracking down info first. Upgrading and Repairing PCs by Scott Mueller is a very good place to start. I have the 21st edition for my prep to take the A+ tests from my local library as of this post. Good luck, hope this helps, wish me luck and lets do this!
Also, start hanging out in tech forums. This one is the best, IMHO.