Question What to test next and how?

OBTA13

Commendable
Jul 14, 2019
So my PC popped yesterday. You guys helped me figure out my PSU died and I replaced it. Now my MOBO is getting power but not booting. Better than before when no power to MOBO. Now I need to know where to go from here? I was told to test individual components to check for damage but I don't know where to start. There is a power and a reset on the mobo(z170 deluxe) but nothing happened when pressed. Any help and guidance is much appreciated

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
I took a look at your other thread. Can you please pass on your full system's specs here for us to see?
List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

I'll include your previous thread to bring other folks reading this, up to speed.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-wont-turn-on-troubleshooting.3551620

You should have your system breadboarded and then try with bare minimum hardware. If you think the PSU is the culprit then all you should need borrowing from a neighbor or a friend is a PSU. Work with one stick of ram if you have two.

Reactions: OBTA13

OBTA13

Commendable
Jul 14, 2019
i5 6600k CPU
Asus z170 deluxe MOBO
Gskillz 2x8 ddr4 ram(not sure what speed, at work)
2 500gb PNY SSD, (1) 1 Tb WD HDD
GeForce GTX 970
Had EVGA 750GQ that died replaced it with cooler master 750
DIYPC full tower chasis
Windows 10 64

Last edited:

OBTA13

Commendable
Jul 14, 2019
I took a look at your other thread. Can you please pass on your full system's specs here for us to see?
List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

I'll include your previous thread to bring other folks reading this, up to speed.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-wont-turn-on-troubleshooting.3551620

You should have your system breadboarded and then try with bare minimum hardware. If you think the PSU is the culprit then all you should need borrowing from a neighbor or a friend is a PSU. Work with one stick of ram if you have two.

It posts breadboarded with 1 stick ram so Im gonna try two. After that GPU. If all that works, is it just my case that is <Mod Edit>? I kinda have a feeling that's the case(hah).

Last edited by a moderator:

OBTA13

Commendable
Jul 14, 2019
Everything works til I get to the dual PNY 480gb SSDs. I tried the one my OS was on and nada and then the other which made it to POST. Is this it? Just lose that SSD and that data? Pretty sure the second one was blank and I don't really back up anything from my PC. I should've at least used that HDD for backup too instead of just storage. I'm about to put it all together minus the shoddy OS SSD.

Is there a way to clone or save the data from my SSD?

Any advice or recommendations?

OBTA13

Commendable
Jul 14, 2019
I got everything to work. I need new SATA cables. Two started melting because I tried using the old PSU SATA power cord. 1 in 1 Mobo SATA port and then the second in a different SATA port. So is it just my case then? Everything is still laying out breadboarded. When I get home I will install everything into the chassis but it seems I may be needing a new case.