michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Hello, I am looking for a checklist of what I need to test on my rig after experiencing the mouse, keyboard and monitor turning off and the computer remains powered on other wise. I am forced to perform a PSU turn off as power buttons on case are unresponsive. I have tested and passed RAM with memtest86, I have also tested the HDD (chkdsk). Other than the last resort, buying a new PSU, what should I be testing? Currently on Corsair RM750 less than a year old also.

What are the OTHER hardware specifications. Motherboard, CPU, etc.?

Are you using a power strip to plug the PSU into?

Are you using a UPS battery backup system?

What OS and OS version are you running?

Does it shut these things off if you are outside of Windows, like for example, in the BIOS, or does it ONLY do it when you are in Windows? Have you tried downloading and running a bootable Linux distro on a flash drive to see if the problem occurs there as well?

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Responses in Green

What are the OTHER hardware specifications. Motherboard, CPU, etc.?
Asus ROG Strix B450-F, Ryzen 7 1700, Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 X 8GB), Radeon RX Vega 56
Are you using a power strip to plug the PSU into?
Surge protector
Are you using a UPS battery backup system?
No
What OS and OS version are you running?
Windows 10 1909
Does it shut these things off if you are outside of Windows, like for example, in the BIOS, or does it ONLY do it when you are in Windows? Have you tried downloading and running a bootable Linux distro on a flash drive to see if the problem occurs there as well?
Only happening when in windows, also when gaming

Should also mention checked event history and didn't see anything other than Origin web service helper failing around time of unexpected shutdown so uninstalled that.

Did you just build this system and are having this problem from day one, or did you build this a while back and it was working fine but just started doing this recently?

Have you installed the latest AMD chipset drivers from the AMD website for the B450 chipset?

Have you installed the motherboard specific drivers from the motherboard product page for the network adapter (LAN/Ethernet), Audio controller and any required USB drivers?

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Did you just build this system and are having this problem from day one, or did you build this a while back and it was working fine but just started doing this recently?
Upgraded and installed new motherboard, RAM, CPU in 2018. Had an issue with that mboard, bought new and installed with new PSU and GPU 9 months ago. Have started having shutoff and issue described above recently more often though it did occur one time a couple months ago.
Have you installed the latest AMD chipset drivers from the AMD website for the B450 chipset?
No
Have you installed the motherboard specific drivers from the motherboard product page for the network adapter (LAN/Ethernet), Audio controller and any required USB drivers?
No, I am running on the default drivers for the mboard as a lot of people warned updating drivers could cause new issues.

I am running on the default drivers for the mboard as a lot of people warned updating drivers could cause new issues.[/COLOR]

This, is complete nonsense. Whoever told you that, put them on the list of people you are not going to ever listen to again, and then don't listen to them again. LOL.

If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory and SPD tabs. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

The last thing we want to look at,

for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Thanks for the help on this. I've completed all of the above steps including going to AMD using their Chipset and RAID drivers. If I have any shut off issues arise, I'll post back in here. Hope you are safe and healthy btw.

Why do you have RAID drivers installed? Are you running a RAID array? If not, you shouldn't be running those. All you should need are the AHCI drivers that are part of the chipset drivers or Windows.

Power strip wouldn't have anything to do with ONLY the keyboard, mouse and monitor shutting off, unless the keyboard and mouse were plugged into USB outlets on the monitor and the power strip was losing power to the monitor.

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Hello, I had the issue again after applying all the above steps? What else should I be looking at?

Noticed this in event viewer: The AMDRyzenMasterDriver service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.

Last edited:
Try reinstalling Ryzen master.

Please list ALL your storage devices, especially the one your OS is installed on and how long it has been in service.

Please list your EXACT PSU model and how long that has been in service, and whether you had any of these problems prior to installing that power supply?

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Try reinstalling Ryzen master.

Please list ALL your storage devices, especially the one your OS is installed on and how long it has been in service.

Please list your EXACT PSU model and how long that has been in service, and whether you had any of these problems prior to installing that power supply?

Thing is I never had Ryzen master installed as an app on the PC. I installed the program but just to hopefully circumvent not finding the file.

I have Corsair RM750 power supply. The storage is Western Digital Blue 2 TB 72000RPM 64MB cache. I unfortunately don't know when I bought the HDD but its probably around 2 years ago.

I did not have any of these problems prior to replacing the motherboard back the first time. After replacing that board with a new one it fixed a majority of some of the freezes I saw. But then they started happening when gaming over the past year so I did a clean install of Windows after formatting the HDD and that took care of it until recently now where the issue is happening that I described of mouse, keyboard, screen just freezing and turning off.

Last edited:
If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory and SPD tabs. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

The last thing we want to look at,

for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Also, if this is a "no signal detected" or other lack of visual display problem, it is probably a good idea to make sure the problem is not just a bad cable or the wrong cable IF this is a display issue. If it is NOT related to a lack of display signal, then obviously this part is not relevant to your issue.

This happens a lot. Try a different cable or a different TYPE of cable. Sometimes there can be issues with the monitor or card not supporting a specific specification such as HDMI 1.4 vs HDMI 2.0, or even an HDMI output stops working but the Displayport or DVI output still works fine on the graphics card. Always worth checking the cable and trying other cables because cables get run over, bent, bent pins or simply were cheap quality to begin with and something as simple as trying a different cable or different monitor might be all that is required to solve your issue.

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Hello,
Unfortunately I have to re-open this one, as the problem persists. I've done all of the above steps, including a clean install of the graphics card (removing all drivers before downloading most current). I also tested my old graphics card and the issue occurred with that card installed as well. The issue happened with the old card when actually not gaming, with the new card it only happens when gaming.

I did a clean install of Windows on the after formatting the HDD a year ago also, in case I didn't mention that. Really looking like a hardware issue unless if its something I'm not thinking of.

Run the short DST (Drive self test.)

Then, if it passes, run the Extended or Long generic test. That one will take several hours usually, to complete.

If that doesn't turn up anything, then I would suggest doing a full CLEAN install of Windows. It may be that a Windows or driver update has borked things up at some point. Since it ONLY happens IN Windows, as you say, that would indicate that it HAS to be software.

It would be a good idea to download Ubuntu, create USB drive bootable media, boot to the Ubuntu drive and see if you have the same problems in Ubuntu as you have in Windows. Or any bootable Linux distro.

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion. I got a pass on the extended check.

Before the clean Windows install, do you suggest CPU or GPU tests of any kind? Spending 30 bucks on 3dmark software seems a little annoying but am willing to do it.

Last edited:
What 3d mark software would you spend money on, and why?

This looks an awful lot like a faulty motherboard, but before throwing in the towel I would probably recommend checking a couple of other things first.

Are your memory modules installed in the A2 and B2 slots, which are the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket going towards the edge of the motherboard with the fourth slot being the one CLOSEST to the edge of the motherboard and the second one being two slots away from that one?

If they are not in those slots, the A2 and B2 slots, then move them to the A2 and B2 slots and retest the system.

If they ARE in those slots, try running Memtest to eliminate the memory as the source of your problem.

Memtest86

Go to the Passmark software website and download the USB Memtest86 free version. You can do the optical disk version too if for some reason you cannot use a bootable USB flash drive.

Create bootable media using the downloaded Memtest86. Once you have done that, go into your BIOS and configure the system to boot to the USB drive that contains the Memtest86 USB media or the optical drive if using that option.

You CAN use Memtest86+, as they've recently updated the program after MANY years of no updates, but for the purpose of this guide I recommend using the Passmark version as this is a tried and true utility while I've not had the opportunity to investigate the reliability of the latest 86+ release as compared to Memtest86. Possibly, consider using Memtest86+ as simply a secondary test to Memtest86, much as Windows memory diagnostic utility and Prime95 Blend or custom modes can be used for a second opinion utility.

Create a bootable USB Flash drive:

1. Download the Windows MemTest86 USB image.

2. Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here" option. This places the USB image and imaging tool into the current folder.

3. Run the included imageUSB tool, it should already have the image file selected and you just need to choose which connected USB drive to turn into a bootable drive. Note that this will erase all data on the drive.

No memory should ever fail to pass Memtest86 when it is at the default configuration that the system sets it at when you start out or do a clear CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for five minutes.

Best method for testing memory is to first run four passes of Memtest86, all 11 tests, WITH the memory at the default configuration. This should be done BEFORE setting the memory to the XMP profile settings. The paid version has 13 tests but the free version only has tests 1-10 and test 13. So run full passes of all 11 tests. Be sure to download the latest version of Memtest86. Memtest86+ has not been updated in MANY years. It is NO-WISE as good as regular Memtest86 from Passmark software.

If there are ANY errors, at all, then the memory configuration is not stable. Bumping the DRAM voltage up slightly may resolve that OR you may need to make adjustments to the primary timings. There are very few secondary or tertiary timings that should be altered. I can tell you about those if you are trying to tighten your memory timings.

If you cannot pass Memtest86 with the memory at the XMP configuration settings then I would recommend restoring the memory to the default JEDEC SPD of 1333/2133mhz (Depending on your platform and memory type) with everything left on the auto/default configuration and running Memtest86 over again. If it completes the four full passes without error you can try again with the XMP settings but first try bumping the DRAM voltage up once again by whatever small increment the motherboard will allow you to increase it by. If it passes, great, move on to the Prime95 testing.

If it still fails, try once again bumping the voltage if you are still within the maximum allowable voltage for your memory type and test again. If it still fails, you are likely going to need more advanced help with configuring your primary timings and should return the memory to the default configuration until you can sort it out.

If the memory will not pass Memtest86 for four passes when it IS at the stock default non-XMP configuration, even after a minor bump in voltage, then there is likely something physically wrong with one or more of the memory modules and I'd recommend running Memtest on each individual module, separately, to determine which module is causing the issue. If you find a single module that is faulty you should contact the seller or the memory manufacturer and have them replace the memory as a SET. Memory comes matched for a reason as I made clear earlier and if you let them replace only one module rather than the entire set you are back to using unmatched memory which is an open door for problems with incompatible memory.

Be aware that you SHOULD run Memtest86 to test the memory at the default, non-XMP, non-custom profile settings BEFORE ever making any changes to the memory configuration so that you will know if the problem is a setting or is a physical problem with the memory.

If Memtest doesn't turn anything up, then I'd suggest trying a clean install of Windows before convicting the motherboard. Also, if you have not done so, after all is said and done, it would probably be a good idea to remove the CPU and CPU cooler and make SURE that there are no bent pins on the CPU.

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Thanks so much for helping me along the way on this issue first off. Im running memtest86 now and will report back. (I cleared CMOS too before running)

Only reason I mentioned stress tests like 3dmark was because I read online you could potentially identify a defective GPU if its crashing under testing. Same for the cpu with prime95. Im a little wary too because if the issue is Windows or the motherboard these tests could give a false positive and identify the components as the problem when really they are not.

Well, you can, sometimes, but you can also crash running those utilities and it might have nothing to do with it. A bad power supply for example could cause a GPU intensive workload to crash the system, making you think it's the graphics card, when in fact it isn't. So, while those kinds of utilities have value, it's not usually in this area. Maybe in some specific cases.

Yes. All these drivers SHOULD be installed.

AMD chipset driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

Realtek audio driver: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/01AUDIO/V8746_WHQL_191203_SS3.6.45_FF03_WIN7_19H1.zip

Intel LAN driver: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/..._I211_UWD_TP_W10_64_VER12151841_20190306R.zip

Do NOT install AI Suite or any of the other bundled ASUS software available in the "Utilities" download section. It's pretty much all garbage, for ASUS, and other board manufacturers as well. There are better utilities available for anything you want to do EXCEPT for when it comes to lighting controls. Those you may not have a choice other than to use the board manufacturers utility in order to control if it's a board with an onboard RGB or other lighting controls.