What to upgrade first, PSU, HD, or cooling?

Arrbjorn

Commendable
May 3, 2017
So I recently built a new computer.

Specs:

• ■ Ryzen 5 1600x
    ■ MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
    ■ MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8GB
    ■ Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3000 2x8GB (16GB)
    ■ OCZ R400 NVMe 256GB 2100/1600 M.2 SSD

Now, I used an old PSU I had from when I first built the computer this replaced, it's a Silverstone SST-1200 1200W PSU. I know, overkill, but I used to build computers for clients, so this PSU was free from when a client decided to upgrade the PSU last minute and didn't care to return this one.

The storage hard drive is nearly as old, and only 1TB. I have also scavenged a 2TB 2.5" 5200RPM drive from an external hard drive, but needless to say it is extremely slow.

The computer is also being cooled by a Thermaltake Contac Silent AM4 cooler, which needless to say has only marginally better performance than a stock cooler. It does keep my max temps under very heavy load to around 70C, with typical max load temps of ~65C (gaming, rendering, etc).

So my question is this, which do I upgrade first?

• ■ The PSU since it is old and not high quality, and might actually fail?
    ■ The hard drive for more/faster storage?
    ■ The cooler to keep the CPU cooler and help it last longer and perform better? (to be clear, I do not experience throttling, even at 4.2ghz).

Potential Upgrade Choices:

• ■ PSU: Corsair RM550x ($70) / RM650i ($110)
    ■ Hard Drive: 2x Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004 4TB drives in Raid 0/10 (8TB) ($265)
    ■ Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i 240mm AIO Water Cooler ($105)

Any suggestions?

Also it feels weird not doing a roll-your-own water cooling solution after so many years of building them during college, when AIOs didnt even exist. Is it still worth it, or have the AIO coolers caught up in terms of performance?