[SOLVED] What to upgrade first?

Apr 4, 2020
Hey guys. I'm looking to upgrade my PC to get better performance in games. I'm not sure which I should upgrade first though, my RAM, my CPU, GPU or storage. Here are my current specs:
i5-4690k
8gb RAM
GTX 1060 6gb
WD Blue 1tb 7200 rpm
What do you guys think should go first?

Solution
a new more powerful GPU will probably not change your gaming experience much while still using the old lower quality CPU and the small(8 GB) package of old RAM.

i would start with a new modern platform and see how well the 1060 works out. if still not getting the FPS you'd like with settings you would like, then i would upgrade the GPU.
the best you can do on the platform you are currently using i believe is the i7-4790K. then you could get a 16GB kit of good 2400 DDR3 RAM. what motherboard are you using?...i would also get a nice SSD(or two) to use for OS and games.
this would lead to quite a bit better performance in games.
but what are you hoping to achieve?
what resolution are you planning on playing? what FPS would you like...
to upgrade to a modern chipset you'd need a new motherboard, CPU, and DDR4 RAM.

the best you can do on the platform you are currently using i believe is the i7-4790K. then you could get a 16GB kit of good 2400 DDR3 RAM. what motherboard are you using?

i would also get a nice SSD(or two) to use for OS and games.

Apr 4, 2020
I mean, I'm fine changing my motherboard if I need to, just not sure whether to go the GPU route or the CPU route first, or rather which one will give me a better bang for my buck.

a new more powerful GPU will probably not change your gaming experience much while still using the old lower quality CPU and the small(8 GB) package of old RAM.

i would start with a new modern platform and see how well the 1060 works out. if still not getting the FPS you'd like with settings you would like, then i would upgrade the GPU.
the best you can do on the platform you are currently using i believe is the i7-4790K. then you could get a 16GB kit of good 2400 DDR3 RAM. what motherboard are you using?...i would also get a nice SSD(or two) to use for OS and games.
this would lead to quite a bit better performance in games.
but what are you hoping to achieve?
what resolution are you planning on playing? what FPS would you like to see? what level of ingame settings do you want to be able to set?

Last edited:
Solution