[SOLVED] What to upgrade for Premiere 4K editing? (old amd 8350 / R9 270) Advice me!

elcoxx

Honorable
Jul 19, 2014
Guys! I need some help.

I am having a hard time editing 4K with Premiere Pro even with proxies.

Color grading is a nightmare, not to mention when I have to unsharp mask and denoise. Impossible.

Timeline is a nightmare. Too much lag.

I want to upgrade but I don't know where to start.

Should I upgrade my CPU/Mobo first and keep the GPU? (Because I am on low budget)

Or I have to change GPU necessarily as well?

For example.

How would work an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X or Ryzen 5 3600 with my old R9 270? Can I pair that and improve my 4K editing?

Thanks!

Approximate Purchase Date: this month or next

Budget Range: (300-500 USD)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (Premiere Pro 4k Editing)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Are you buying a case: No

Parts to Upgrade: (CPU, GPU, MOBO)

Do you need to buy OS: No

Parts Preferences: AMD

Your Monitor Resolution: (DUAL 1920x1080)

My PC specs:

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
AMD FX-8350
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x8GB) 1600 MHz
Corsair Cooler H100i
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB for OS
WD Blue 1 TB WD10EZEX for projects and storage
Sapphire Radeon R9 270 2GB Dual-X
Corsair PSU AX 760W
Windows 10 Pro 64

Last edited:
Solution
AMD gpu's aren't nearly as good as nvidia gpu's on renders, so your gpu is nigh useless. The cpu is still more important atm anyways.
The 3600 and 2700x are pretty similar in productivity performance with the 2700x having a minor lead, but the 3600 is quite a bit faster in noise reduction, so I'd opt for a 3600, though you can get a 3700x if you stretch.

Get a msi b450 Max board like a tomahawk or gaming plus, and pair it with a 2x8gb ddr4 3000 or 3200mhz kit like this, but better yet a 2x16gb kit like this as 4k editing really burns through ram.
Then pickup a 3600 or 3700x depending on your budget preference.

I am unsure about your cooler, if it's a v1 it should fit without an adapter, but i am...
AMD gpu's aren't nearly as good as nvidia gpu's on renders, so your gpu is nigh useless. The cpu is still more important atm anyways.
The 3600 and 2700x are pretty similar in productivity performance with the 2700x having a minor lead, but the 3600 is quite a bit faster in noise reduction, so I'd opt for a 3600, though you can get a 3700x if you stretch.

Get a msi b450 Max board like a tomahawk or gaming plus, and pair it with a 2x8gb ddr4 3000 or 3200mhz kit like this, but better yet a 2x16gb kit like this as 4k editing really burns through ram.
Then pickup a 3600 or 3700x depending on your budget preference.

I am unsure about your cooler, if it's a v1 it should fit without an adapter, but i am not 100% on that. needless, the cpu comes with passable stock coolers.

You're psu is a good quality seasonic based unit, so it should be ok even if older.

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan
Any advice?

How much do you plan to spend and what parts are you reusing? Let's start there.

In video editing applications, it's always better to invest more in the CPU than in the GPU. Having a good GPU helps, but having a strong multicore CPU is the key to fast redrawing and reediting videos. You want at the minimum a 3700X, but a 3900X or 9900K would be a better purchase if the budget allows for it. Alternately you could wait for the Intel 10XXX series and see how those fare in Premiere and other editing applications.

How much do you plan to spend and what parts are you reusing? Let's start there.

In video editing applications, it's always better to invest more in the CPU than in the GPU. Having a good GPU helps, but having a strong multicore CPU is the key to fast redrawing and reediting videos. You want at the minimum a 3700X, but a 3900X or 9900K would be a better purchase if the budget allows for it. Alternately you could wait for the Intel 10XXX series and see how those fare in Premiere and other editing applications.
op said budget of 300-500