Oct 3, 2022
These are my current specs:
Ryzen 3 1200 (Overclocked to 3.8GHz, stock cooler)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3000MHz RAM
Asus Prime B350-Plus Motherboard
Asus Strix 1050Ti
FSP HYPER M 500W (85 plus) power supply
2xSATA SSDs (One 120GB and one 512GB)

I recently got the RAM upgrade from one stck of 8GB(2400) and now I'm thinking about the next step.
Out of everything here the CPU stands out the most for me, so I was thinking about upgrading it to a Ryzen 5 3600 which fits right in my budget.
What would be your opinion guys? Should I maybe save up some more for a GPU or stick with the CPU, or maybe take another CPU instead?

Solution
Asus Strix 1050Ti

I recently got the RAM upgrade from one stck of 8GB(2400) and now I'm thinking about the next step.
Out of everything here the CPU stands out the most for me, so I was thinking about upgrading it to a Ryzen 5 3600 which fits right in my budget.
What would be your opinion guys? Should I maybe save up some more for a GPU or stick with the CPU, or maybe take another CPU instead?
Only you know how much you want to spend and how high up the perf ladder you want to go.

You...

Ralston18

Titan
Understand the desire to upgrade.

However, that said, what particular problem or problems are happening.

How old is the build - especially the listed PSU?

Which SSD hosts the OS? What edition and version of Windows?

What matters the most is what components the motherboard will support. That information is listed in the applicable User Guide/Manual and also at Asus's website via the QVLs (Qualified Vendors List).

You may or may not gain any noticeable performance with a new CPU or GPU. Or perhaps some but the PSU may not be able to keep up or otherwise be pressed to provide the required wattage to support the build.

What is your budget?

What is the primary use for your computer: gaming, general work and browsing, video editing, coding....? What apps do you run?

Reactions: pxeL1
I agree get the bios update and at least a ryzen 5 5600 or higher. Sell the 1200, then if you are able pick up something like an rx 6600 or better and sell your 1050ti to offset a bit more of the cost. If you do decide to go for the 3600 you might be able to pick a used one up cheap. Another viable option might be a used 3700x if you can get a good deal but don’t overspend on it since the 5000 series are that much better.

Oct 3, 2022
Understand the desire to upgrade.

However, that said, what particular problem or problems are happening.

How old is the build - especially the listed PSU?

Which SSD hosts the OS? What edition and version of Windows?

What matters the most is what components the motherboard will support. That information is listed in the applicable User Guide/Manual and also at Asus's website via the QVLs (Qualified Vendors List).

You may or may not gain any noticeable performance with a new CPU or GPU. Or perhaps some but the PSU may not be able to keep up or otherwise be pressed to provide the required wattage to support the build.

What is your budget?

What is the primary use for your computer: gaming, general work and browsing, video editing, coding....? What apps do you run?
Thanks for the reply.

The whole build, except the GPU and RAM, was bought in late 2017 so almost 5 years.

The main use for this PC is gaming, but I will be also using it for programming since I am taking it to uni, and the main problem right now is performance. So in short I want more FPS and better quality in games that I am playing. When it comes to what games I am playing its a mix of triple A games, esports and mid tier games (ex. War Thunder, NFS Heat, Fortnite, World of Tanks, Post Scriptum ect.).

About component support, I checked and the motherboard does support 3rd gen ryzen at least (not sure about 5th though).

Also the OS is on the 120GB SSD and I am currently running Windows 10 and plan on doing so regardless of upgrade until Win11 gets more optimized.

When it comes to budget it gets a little bit complicated. Since I'm not in the US nor EU (I'm in Europe just not in a EU country) prices vary a lot. But when I convert from my currency I roughly have 191EUR (188$) and for reference the Ryzen 5 3600 costs about 173EUR(170$).

I wasn't really sure about the support but since there is an update I would probably go for the 5600. And I am aware about the quality of the PSU I will upgrade that next probably.

Depending how much you are doing, you may try to to go for at least the 5700x, or take a look at the 5700g. Still 65 watt parts, so temps shouldn't be too much of an issue if you have a decent cooler. But to show how far you can take that system, I've got an AsRock ab350 pro 4, so a system about the age of yours. I actually recently updated my bios on my b350 board, and ended up going with a 5900x. I've also been fortunate enough to get a 6700xt, and a friend gave me a deal on 32gb ddr4 3200mhz. So that's what I'm running these days on my old b350 board. So with that you can go to a high end pc if you want.

But I'd suggest if you are programming, you may appreciate the 8 cores, although coming from a 1200, a 5600 is going to be an amazing upgrade for you.

I'm in the USA, but the 5700x starts on ebay for example about $259 dollars. The 5700g is closer to about 225. Not much difference, but if on a budget the 5700g should be a good choice, though I'd argue if you have it the 5700x is better.

I am seeing the 5600g starting about $143 dollars, whereas a 5600 starts around 160.

It looks prices have trended up a few dollars since I was shopping, because I looked at these cpus as well. So perhaps people are opting to skip Ryzen 7000 series and updating their older PCs to Ryzen 5000 series.

Last edited:
Asus Strix 1050Ti

Only you know how much you want to spend and how high up the perf ladder you want to go.

You might want to start with getting what you have to run as well as it can.

That means things like proper bios and drivers.
Cleaning out built up storage crud.

Parts wise I might start with a quality 750w psu.
Then move on to the cpu and gpu.

Solution
Oct 3, 2022

You might want to start with getting what you have to run as well as it can.

That means things like proper bios and drivers.
Cleaning out built up storage crud.

Parts wise I might start with a quality 750w psu.
Then move on to the cpu and gpu.

This is a viable option as well, since I just realized that the 5 year warranty is about to expire.
Id probably look at something like EVGA SuperNOVA GA 750W 80+ Bronze.

teutoniswolf

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Definitely get the EVGA SuperNOVA GA 750W 80+ Bronze, 5600/5700X and a 6600XT at a minimum. However, for the cost you can nab a 6700 as well. Any of these combos would serve you extremely well and perform far higher than your current rig. You may also want to upgrade your RAM to 3200 and CAS 16 but yours will probably be just fine as that isn't your main bottlenecks right now.

Happy hunting!

Oct 3, 2022
Update:
I went and bought the EVGA 750 B5, 80+ Bronze 750W PSU for the beginning to get that "problem" out of the back of my head. Next I'll probably go for the 5600.

Thank you all for the suggestions and replies!

teutoniswolf

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Update:
I went and bought the EVGA 750 B5, 80+ Bronze 750W PSU for the beginning to get that "problem" out of the back of my head. Next I'll probably go for the 5600.

Thank you all for the suggestions and replies!

Please don't forget to choose "Best Answer" on the top left pane next to the name of the one you feel helped you the most! This helps us close the thread and helps the responders!

You'll be happy as well with that PSU!