What to upgrade to and when to do it?

Aug 24, 2018
Hi guys.

I see the hype around mining has gonna down a fair bit, and now that the RTX gpu series has been launched I guess the prices will fall a bit in the following weeks or months?

So here is the question, how long will I have to wait till the gtx 10-series is at it's lowest?

The reason why I ask this is because I feel like it's about time to upgrade my computer so I can continue with some heavier mods for the different games I have:

This is my set up:

Cabinet: Komplett midi tower
PSU: Cm B500 ver2 KPC
CPU: Intel I5-4460
Motherboard: Asus b85m-g
Ram: 2x4GB HyperX Fury 1600Mhz DDR3
GPU: Msi gtx 960 2GB

I'm mostly playing games like Witcher 3 (moded), skyrim se (highly moded) and Dota 2.

So should I start buy updating my GPU then, or what, and when is the best time to buy it?

Solution
Based on the games you play nothing is CPU intensive. This would be my order.

GPU: Mods can really increase GPU usage and Witcher 3 is already no slouch.
PSU (Depends): You should be good up to a GTX 1070 perhaps 1070 Ti.
SSD: At least 500GB. This will greatly decrease game load times. Lots of mods can really drag down load times. It just makes the experience more fluid especially transitions that prompt load screens.
RAM: Don't know how much you are using right now. Used DDR3 is pretty cheap and going to 16/24GB will maximize your computers useful life. 16GB is plenty but if the price is right there is no harm in adding a 2x8GB set to maximize useful life.
CPU: Not necessary for the games you play. Which is why it is so low on...
Based on the games you play nothing is CPU intensive. This would be my order.

GPU: Mods can really increase GPU usage and Witcher 3 is already no slouch.
PSU (Depends): You should be good up to a GTX 1070 perhaps 1070 Ti.
SSD: At least 500GB. This will greatly decrease game load times. Lots of mods can really drag down load times. It just makes the experience more fluid especially transitions that prompt load screens.
RAM: Don't know how much you are using right now. Used DDR3 is pretty cheap and going to 16/24GB will maximize your computers useful life. 16GB is plenty but if the price is right there is no harm in adding a 2x8GB set to maximize useful life.
CPU: Not necessary for the games you play. Which is why it is so low on the list. A used i7-4790 would maximize the life of your platform for other games. Perhaps Elder Scrolls VI whenever it comes out. Unless they ruin it by making it MMO.

Don't depend too much on GPU prices falling. Mid September Christmas buying starts and it seems to me that the cheap August prices always go up a little not down. All those people expecting a January lull got slammmed by a mining surge. A surge which has happened two years in a row. If you think GPU prices are good now then buy now. I'd advise against trying to predict future prices.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The best time to buy a GPU is when you feel a need and can afford it.

The rest of your computer is okay. You could more than double your performance with something like a GTX1070.

The cheapest RTX card is going to be the 2070, that is going to be pretty expensive, and should have performance similar to a GTX1080 (or a bit more, plus the ray tracing tech) My understanding is that the GTX 2060/2050 will not offer ray tracing, and won't be available for quite a while.

If you are on a budget consider buying a used card. Should be plenty of early adopters selling off their cards right about now.

I'm considering it myself, but I think I will hold out for the next process node shrink. I put myself in the position of owning a card before the last process shrink. I still have those cards, seem to be unsellable.