What to upgrade?

midazz1

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
I have an ASUS k56cb (notebook), and I want better performance- being able to run battlefield 3 on at least medium graphics, high would be nice. What should I upgrade on it? I now have:
4GB RAM with 1 slot free
Intel core i5 (believe it's 1.7 GHz)
Nvidia GeForce 540m
I forgot something I think.

Solution
In order to increase performance for BF, you would have to upgrade the processor and/or the graphics chip. Upgrading either on a laptop is not something to be taken lightly and more often than not you'll end up getting a part that is incompatible with your motherboard. According to ASUS, you would upgrade the CPU to an i7 3537U which would be a minimal increase in performance (I wouldn't bother) and you could go up to an NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 740M which would be a noticeable bump in performance. If you were to upgrade both your CPU and GPU, you would also want to consider adding another 4GB of RAM to level out the system.

In my opinion, that rig just isn't worth upgrading parts and potentially destroying your system. There are plenty of...

BnG

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
You know that upgrading a non-pc is quite difficult? You could probably add another 4GB ram, that would be the easiest thing to do. Do you know how to take apart the thing and replace components? Or are you going to bring it to an expert?

game junky

Distinguished
In order to increase performance for BF, you would have to upgrade the processor and/or the graphics chip. Upgrading either on a laptop is not something to be taken lightly and more often than not you'll end up getting a part that is incompatible with your motherboard. According to ASUS, you would upgrade the CPU to an i7 3537U which would be a minimal increase in performance (I wouldn't bother) and you could go up to an NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 740M which would be a noticeable bump in performance. If you were to upgrade both your CPU and GPU, you would also want to consider adding another 4GB of RAM to level out the system.

In my opinion, that rig just isn't worth upgrading parts and potentially destroying your system. There are plenty of laptops on the market with higher performance GPUs and Intel quad-core mobile procs that would be exponentially better performance and you don't have to go through the headache of taking apart your laptop chassis and hunting down parts that are compatible.

Solution

That is a slim laptop, I doubt you can do much upgrading there, especially the video card. I don't see any info that it's removable. Sell the laptop and get a faster one is the best thing you can do.

You try to swap out the CPU, plug something in wrong and you have a shiny thousand dollar plate to rest your noodle bowl on.