what to upgrade...

Kanoo7

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016
i have had this pc for more than 2 years now and now i want to upgrade my pc without spending a lot of money but im not sure if its possible or not...
Intel Core i5-4670K
zotassc gtx 780
Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3
Crucial BallistixSport 2x4GB 1600MHz
Seagate Desktop HDD 2TB 7200RPM
Cooler Master B700 700W

now i originily weanted to buy a 1070 but is my cpu strong enough? and also my motherboard dosent support ddr4 ram....so should i just forget about a quick upgrade or ?

Solution
Well I guess you should check to see how much RAM usage you current have while browsing/gaming/etc and if you are maxing it out, then yes add more RAM. As for the CPU cooler, if you were using the cooler that came with the CPU and weren't overclocking, then you should not have damaged it. I would definitely add an aftermarket cooler such as the 212 EVO and they are pretty cheap too, about $35 in US. They can be a little tricky to install the first time, but you should be able to find a Youtube video if you have questions.
Well, speed of RAM isn't going to help in gaming, but memory intensive applications. Do DDR3 is still good for now. That CPU is pretty good as well. Is it overclocked? I would recommend getting a 8GBx2 set, or another 4GBx2 set of RAM. If you are not playing or planning on 1440p, then get a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 480 8GB. If you are upgrading your monitor any time soon, then get the GTX 1070.

Kanoo7

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016
my bad.. didnt give enough info but yes i have a 1080 p monitor and im not planning on going higher than than til another 6 months or so.. and my cpu isn't overclocked

No need to get the 1070 if you aren't taking advantage of it. The RX 480 8GB or GTX 1060 6GB is your best bet.

Possible upgrades, you would probably like are:
1. pump up the RAM to 16GB
2. get a GTX1070 or wait until those new GPUs from AMD are available
3. get an SSD
Other than those 3, your PC is still powerful for gaming.

If you haven't OCed the proc, get a decent cooler and start OCing, if you like.

Kanoo7

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016
tnx for all the answers... but is the ddr3 ram worth the upgrade? does being ddr3 make a big diffrence or should i wait to just upgrdae the motherboeard too? one more thing i wanted to ask that may sound stupid but when i build my pc i dint know about after marked cooling for cpu...so isnt too late too install one one? because i was a bit afraid that the cpu is damaged with all the gaming without proper cooler over the years.

ps . sorry if my questions sound really stupid.

You don't need to upgrade the motherboard right now. I would strongly suggest getting a Hyper 212 EVO when you can. You can't get DDR4 anyway. I would probably get another 4GBx2 RAM set that is DDR3.

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
Well I guess you should check to see how much RAM usage you current have while browsing/gaming/etc and if you are maxing it out, then yes add more RAM. As for the CPU cooler, if you were using the cooler that came with the CPU and weren't overclocking, then you should not have damaged it. I would definitely add an aftermarket cooler such as the 212 EVO and they are pretty cheap too, about $35 in US. They can be a little tricky to install the first time, but you should be able to find a Youtube video if you have questions.

Solution

Kanoo7

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016
one last question... i just checked and it seems that gtx 1070 ftw is on 20% sale where i live, so is it a good idea to buy that and use it with my current rig and than slowly upgrade the other parts over the next few months?