What to upgrade?

May 2, 2018
Hello all,

Quite a simple upgrade question. I want better video performance in Fornite: Battle Royale.

My current setup is as follows:
Windows 10 Pro
14GB RAM
Radeon HD 7800 graphics card
Intel Core i7 CPU (forgotten speed)
256GB SSD

My question is, if I just upgrade my graphics card would I get an instant peorformance increase? Say if I plugged in a GeForce GTX 970?

I'm happy with the game on medium textures with most other things set low. Currently I'm getting 120-60FPS depending on what's going on. A slightly higher average would be preferable.

Will my CPU be limiting anything at all?

I'd be looking to spend £150 on a GPU, £200 max.

Cheers

Can you please download , install and run https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy. Copy and paste the Summary page over here into a reply.

Also let us know the exact make and model of the PSU. No shortcuts. 500W PSU is not a name. When dealing with PC's exact and complete information is helpful to critical.

May 2, 2018

OK I can do that when I get home, is it completely necessary? I'll be able to figure out the speed of my CPU without speccy?

My PSU is a Corsair CX600

Cheers

May 2, 2018
OK, I'll paste the speccy stuff later.

You're right, graphics card is Asus Radeon HD 7850.

Are there any other GFX cards that you would consider? So far I'm mainly going from info here:
https://www.techspot.com/article/1557-fortnite-benchmarks/

Thanks again,

I might consider the 480 4GB which has similar performance.

May 2, 2018

Here you go:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz 42 °C
Bloomfield 45nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz (8-8-8-20)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6T SE (LGA1366) 36 °C
Graphics
DELL U2312HM (1920x1080@59Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc) 48 °C
Storage
931GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA) 26 °C
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB ATA Device (SSD) 32 °C
14GB Generic- SD/MMC USB Device (USB)
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C ATA Device
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Would my CPU be a limiting factor at all?

The short answer to this is, Yes it will be.

Modern multiplayer games need a lot of CPU power, and while your old i7 does have 4 core/8 threads, by modern standards it's pretty weak with low clock speeds. So what this means is, you can put in a better graphics card and turn the settings up a bit and get a better looking gaming experience, but as soon as things start to get intense the frame rate will drop due to CPU limitations.

So you then say, wouldn't I get more fps by turning the settings down? Yes you would until intense battles etc. and then the frame rate would still drop.....so you're just as well off turning the settings up and enjoy a better quality image.

May 2, 2018
Thanks,

Out of interest how much should I expect to pay for a second hand good condition GTX 970? Any other second hand cards worth considering?

Might do that for now and if need be upgrade my CPU afterwards..

TRENDING THREADS