[SOLVED] What to Upgrade

jbone8

Prominent
Feb 15, 2018
Im trying to decide on what I should look to upgrade next on my PC. Its mainly for gaming but I do watch youtube and other simple things on it. I got the PC over 5 years ago and have slowly replaced parts. That being said I still have the same motherboard, I'm definitely no expert on hardware but that makes me lean towards doing that. Upgrading a mobo from my knowledge is a big undertaking which does scare me.

These are my current specs-
Specs:
Processor: Intel i7-4790 CPU 3.6gh
RAM: 16gb (I think its DDR-3 my mobo doesnt support ddr4)
GPU: Nvidia 1070
MotherBoard: MSI H81M-E33 (cant support more then 16gb of ram)
Power Supply is 650w

I also have a main HDD as well as a smaller SSD drive

A few things to note, I don't have a ton of money so I'm looking for bang for buck and long term gaming performance above all. Lately I've been playing a lot of rim world which is an intensive single threaded game so for any CPU suggestions maybe take that into consideration. The youtuber I currently am watching play some decently modded rimworld without much performance issue uses this:

Intel Core i7-8700K Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.7GHz Turbo Unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W

This is the mobo i was looking at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ck_look_act_image_1?smid=A1NAVOX3XE5VZM&psc=1

Keep in mind I have very little knowledge so I'm going off what I read/minimal understanding.

Solution
Hi!

Since you're on a budget, I would advise you against the new i7.
It would be a lot easier if you told us how much you want to spend on this build.

This is a nice budget upgrade for you:
Motherboard: MSI B450M Gaming Plus AM4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Memory: Any 2x8GB DDR4 kit. Make sure it's above 3000MHz as Ryzen processors like that.

Your GPU still packs a punch today so I'd leave that be.

What's the PSU's exact make and model? Since you're upgrading, you might want to look at replacing that as well if it's a low-end model.

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Hi!

It would be a lot easier if you told us how much you want to spend on this build.

Memory: Any 2x8GB DDR4 kit. Make sure it's above 3000MHz as Ryzen processors like that.

What's the PSU's exact make and model? Since you're upgrading, you might want to look at replacing that as well if it's a low-end model.

Solution

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Hi!

Just checked this topic again, since my answer was chosen as solution.
I see you didn't give an answer, but just to make my answer more up-to-date:

The AMD Ryzen 3 3300X could be the best budget option now, since it's providing similar gaming performance to the 3600 for cheaper.

The rest stays the same.

TRENDING THREADS