[SOLVED] What to upgrade

May 26, 2020
Hey all,
So this is my first post and really it’s just a question on what to upgrade. I’ll start by saying I’m by no means a pc gamer, Im afraid I do have a PS4 Pro and use that quite a lot (sorry!). I do however have a pc that I built about 3 years ago mainly from parts kindly donated to me from some friends that are very heavy pc gamers, so at the time they were very good second hand items. My question now is, what should I upgrade next, or do I just need to consider another rebuild. I only have a very basic knowledge of pc components, so as long as you dont get overly techy ill understand!
The key games I play are League of Legends, Apex Legends, Elder Scrolls and Total war games (Warhammer mainly but also Rome 2). I want to move more into pc, so my question really is what kind of budget would I need to play the above games to get my pc up to scratch, or is it pretty much there with what I want to play? Below is my current pc, hopefully ive included all the important components. Ive just copied that from my Speccy. My case is a monster so i dont think size shouldn’t be an issue

Window 10
CPU - Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz
RAM - 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97-D3H-CF
Graphics - AMD Radeon R9 200 / 7900 Series (XFX Pine Group)
Storage - 1TB Samsung SSD, plus 1TB Seagate SATA
Power Supply - 750w Corsair
Worth noting im running Dual screens, they are only 1080p 75Hz and i would like to run them at that (currently just HDMI cables to just 60.

Any help or advise on what to upgrade and options would be very gratefully received!

Thanks

Solution
It looks like you current PSU is just fine, by the way. Overkill if anything! For the games you list you wouldn't need earth shattering parts, but I'd suggest a budget of around $600-$650 (I don't know what country you're in) since you already have a good Hard Drive set-up and a good PSU. You may only need Mobo, RAM, CPU and GPU, although you don't mention your case I'm sure it's fine? There's a bit of a stock shortage with these parts in some areas.

Something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | $172.39 @ Newegg
Motherboard | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard | $115.00
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series...
Well you should rebuild....
The budged depends on the country your in...different parts cost different in each county.
B450 Mobo
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X (Ryzen 5 3600 Preferably)
16GB DDR4 (2x8)
Nvidia 1660 or if you can buy 2060 even better
Some reputable brand PSU with 500W
With 2060 there is no game that can go below 60FPS (even on high or ultimate settings).

May 26, 2020
Well you should rebuild....
The budged depends on the country your in...different parts cost different in each county.
B450 Mobo
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X (Ryzen 5 3600 Preferably)
16GB DDR4 (2x8)
Nvidia 1660 or if you can buy 2060 even better
Some reputable brand PSU with 500W
With 2060 there is no game that can go below 60FPS (even on high or ultimate settings).
Appreciate the response and advise. I did assume a rebuild was gonna be the answer as I've badly neglected my PC and done nothing for years! I'm in the UK if that changes any of your advice

kevinburrow

Commendable
Mar 17, 2020
It looks like you current PSU is just fine, by the way. Overkill if anything! For the games you list you wouldn't need earth shattering parts, but I'd suggest a budget of around $600-$650 (I don't know what country you're in) since you already have a good Hard Drive set-up and a good PSU. You may only need Mobo, RAM, CPU and GPU, although you don't mention your case I'm sure it's fine? There's a bit of a stock shortage with these parts in some areas.

Something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $70.98 @ Amazon
Video Card | Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card | $279.99 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $638.36
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-26 05:34 EDT-0400 |

Oh and don't think PC people don't play PS4 themselves :D

Solution
May 26, 2020

Something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $70.98 @ Amazon
Video Card | Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card | $279.99 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $638.36
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-26 05:34 EDT-0400 |

Oh and don't think PC people don't play PS4 themselves :D
Cheers for the advice. I only say about the PS4 as i always get grief when i talk to my pc gamer friends about games on PS4, especially ones that are on pc too lol. Also, im UK based, but most your links are amazon so easily found on Amazon UK. Thanks again!

Reactions: kevinburrow
If you want to keep your system up a bit longer and will only be using 1080p at 60hz, you could simply pick up a gtx 1650 Super for ~£155.

But if you really want to get into pc, 4 cores won't cut it nowadays and the build mentioned before is the ticket, you can play around on pcpartpicker, on the top right of the website is a list that changes the buying location.

BTW, what corsair psu do you have? If its a green or orange label, you should replace it, otherwise, if its a grey label or a gold rated corsair unit, you're good.

May 26, 2020
If you want to keep your system up a bit longer and will only be using 1080p at 60hz, you could simply pick up a gtx 1650 Super for ~£155.

But if you really want to get into pc, 4 cores won't cut it nowadays and the build mentioned before is the ticket, you can play around on pcpartpicker, on the top right of the website is a list that changes the buying location.

BTW, what corsair psu do you have? If its a green or orange label, you should replace it, otherwise, if its a grey label or a gold rated corsair unit, you're good.

Any reason for needing to replace the corsair 750w? It is the green label one i think, i haven't checked but im sure its green

Any reason for needing to replace the corsair 750w? It is the green label one i think, i haven't checked but im sure its green
I had forgotten which of the old cx models were the bad ones and good ones. The cx750 green is a dc-dc unit and is thus somewhat decent unlike the rest of the series as they are group regulated(voltage rails are managed as a group rather then independently thus are susceptible to variation of values). Though the cx750 isnt as bad as the rest of the series, it still is only rated to 30c and as such, having lower quality caps then the new series, will likely have problems when loaded up. Granted, if you were to keep your current system, it would probably be okay, but if building a new rig, definitely consider replacement.

May 26, 2020
I had forgotten which of the old cx models were the bad ones and good ones. The cx750 green is a dc-dc unit and is thus somewhat decent unlike the rest of the series as they are group regulated(voltage rails are managed as a group rather then independently thus are susceptible to variation of values). Though the cx750 isnt as bad as the rest of the series, it still is only rated to 30c and as such, having lower quality caps then the new series, will likely have problems when loaded up. Granted, if you were to keep your current system, it would probably be okay, but if building a new rig, definitely consider replacement.
Ok cool, cheers for the heads up!