[SOLVED] What to use to recover folder structure of formatted HDD

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody-Important

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2013
I was trying to repair my win7 install earlier this week and because the HP recovery disks didnt bring up the option to do a repair install i went searching for an executable through the console. Unfortunately the one i found didn't bring up that option either and instead started by formatting the c drive. Despite being stopped immediately it was already too late and the drive is now empty.

The question now is: is there any way to get the actual folder structure back somehow? The important things on this drive were mostly projects that rely heavily on the folder structure instead of singular files.
Since this was a full 500GB drive i doubt that everything could have been erased in the two seconds the formatter ran, but how do i actually recover them?

(I also don't know if this strictly belongs in the hardware section but it's where it fit the most)

Solution
If the data is critcally important.
STOP
Go to a professional data recovery

If not,
Recuva,
Zarx

are pretty good (For me) tools that can recover data.

As a 'normal' format mostly doesnt touch the data , merely changing the flag to allow it to be overwritten, the data is likely to be there.

Do not use the drive for anything until all data is recovered and tested

I would suggest reading the drive using another computer, or installing windows and the data recovery tools on another hdd.

The key to data recovery is, if you are not sure, dont do it

Good Luck!
Alvis
In order to recover the file/folder structure, the $MFT (an NTFS metafile) must be intact. Unfortunately this metafile is reset by the formatting process. I would try DMDE. It may find your original partition during its initial scan (a few seconds), otherwise you may need a full scan. The MFT is typically located at around the 4GB point, so it shouldn't take very long for DMDE to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.