What type is best for an older system?

striker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Hey guys,

Here is the situation. My parents want me to install another hard drive for their computer because they are out of disk space. (thank you napster) It is an older system, and here are the specs.

Micron Millenia Max:
Pentium 3 450
Intel SE440BX2 Motherboard
8 Gig hd (unknown brand)
Sound Blaster live Value
Voodoo 5 5500

Here are the specs on the motherboard:
http://support.micronpc.com/apps/onespec.asp?Hub=MBD001109-xx&Include=

but the important thing I got out of it was the fact its ultra dma/33. I guess that means I don't need a hard drive thats higher than 33. I just bought an IBM ATA/100, and for its price I would like to install that, but when I called Micron tech support he said I would need an additional controller card? I am pretty confused on what to do, so if you can help clear up some of this for me I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Sean

G

Go here and read the pdf for the "IBM Feature Tool" and download the utility.. this will allow you to adjust transfer mode to fit ATA 33. I'm not saying you wouldn't be better off with an ATA 100 controller since they are 30-40$. But if that's not an option or you simply don't want to install/purchase it, the utility should allow it to work.

<A HREF="http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/hddtech/welcome.htm" target="_new">http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/hddtech/welcome.htm</A>

Hopefully you won't face the Award bios issue of 32GB limitation with that board (I think the BX2 uses Award bios anyways, I don't quite remember). A bios update would probably fix that if it does suffer that problem (the ATA 100 controller will also get around this).

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

G

Just get a fast ATA100 HDD for their computer and install it. The maxtor 7200 drives are nice drives and they are cheap and include software to migrate the OS and apps from the old drive to the new one. Don't worry about the ATA thing as they are backward compatable and will adjust their transfer rate to fit the interface. I might get the ATA100 card if your in the mood to install it since the drive will give better performance with it but it's not a must.

Mike

G

>>Don't worry about the ATA thing as they are backward compatable and will adjust their transfer rate to fit the interface<<

That's not entirely true, certainly for older boards that don't support over ATA 33. While the drives are backward compatible and will operate at ATA 33. They do not always communicate properly with the older controllers to agree on that transfer mode, thus the existence of the aformentioned tool which exists in some form for most drive manufacturers for their ATA 100/66 drives.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Chord on 03/08/01 00:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

OK so s/he uses a util to force a slower bus rate and the thing works, is that not compatable? I think it is but I may be wrong, if the data gets to and from the drive with out errors and runs at the max bus rate (ATA33 in your example) then I think it works.

Mike