what type of cable to connect GPU and monitor together?

snokid78

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
Hello I am building a new computer but I am reusing a monitor from an old computer I had. I am having trouble trying to figure out what to connect the monitor to the graphics card with. The graphics card I am using is a Sapphire r9 280 (no x version) and my monitor is the HP 2010i. The monitor only has ports for VGA and DVI-D inputs and the graphics card has an HDMI, Displayport, DVI-D, and DVI-I inputs and not a VGA port. The problem is that I only have a VGA cable :(. This is where I need help: should I buy a DVI-D to DVI-D cable and just plug it in to the GPU and my monitor and just be done or is it not that simple? What can I do to get the best looking resolution? btw the monitor resolution is 1600x900. Here is the DVI-D to DVI-D cable I was talking about: http://goo.gl/hyK2ZH

Solution
Analog signals are prone to 'noise' and distortion from other electrical components. A slightly "fuzzy" picture is how I would describe it although, like I said in a lot of situations depending on the person, environment and equipment being used, you might not see the difference.

larkspur

Distinguished
Your graphics card might have come with a DVI-I -> VGA adapter. Check the box that your card came in - they often include an adapter.

Either DVI or VGA will provide your full resolution. DVI is ideal because it is digital and the signal is not prone to the 'fuzziness' of an analog signal. Depending on the monitor, the person and environment, the difference between using DVI and VGA may or may not be noticeable. See if you have that adapter and try it. Or just buy a DVI-D cable.

Also - the cable you linked is very overpriced. Get it from Amazon or Newegg. You need a single-link DVI-D male to male cable. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Resolution-Plated-Digital-Monitor/dp/B00FAX3WA2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1419787877&sr=8-5&keywords=DVI-D+single+link

snokid78

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

Could I use the DVI-D cable like the one in the link and just connect it to the monitor and the graphics card without any adapters and be done? sorry I am very new to this and thanks for replying.

snokid78

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

Ok thank you very much I will have to buy one of those if my graphics card doesnt come with an adapter. One more quick question, what is the difference between an analog and a digital signal?

larkspur

Distinguished
Analog signals are prone to 'noise' and distortion from other electrical components. A slightly "fuzzy" picture is how I would describe it although, like I said in a lot of situations depending on the person, environment and equipment being used, you might not see the difference.

Solution