What type of cherry mx switch do you like?

Nov 2, 2018
I like blue and browns, but it really depends on what you want them for.

Don't get caught up in the hype, while cherry keyboards are great, they are only great for certain things. And in my experience that's pretty limited to just gaming.

They've been advertised as 'better' than other keyboards, but that's very subjective. For long term typing, they are really, really bad. The long key travel/resistance causes early fatigue; Even the worst membrane keyboards are better for heavy, long periods of typing.

For gaming, browns/reds are great, they give good feel/feedback for each click. Blues give a good combination of feedback for gaming and low level typing (Say typing for a forum post like this).

I own 6+ mechanical keyboards and love them, but don't get caught up in the hype.

I'd recommend getting one brown and either one blue or red depending on your needs, but don't get caught up thinking they're the greatest thing since sliced bread; they're not!

I'm sorry to be a buzzkill, but I want to give real info, not be the next fanboy exaggerating how good something is.

Sorry to be a buzzkill but it's true, they're only good for gaming at this point. Don't try to write a book on a mechanical keyboard! Your fingers will thank you!

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I've always had a thing for buckling springs but hated the limitations. Cherry Blues are not quite in the buckling spring league, but create a tactile enough experience to be more efficient because I'm sloppy on mushy keyboards. The only problem with blues is using them for gaming (activation or reset points too deep, I feel stuck in mud when gaming on it) plus the noise can get annoying occasionally. At night it's particularly bad. I literally can't hear myself think, and lose track of my thought process. The sound of the blues, it's kind of love/hate at different times. I have a second keyboard with Cherry Brown, and that provided most of the tactility I need to be efficient while also providing serenity. Browns are also better at gaming, they feel more reactive. I'd recommend getting a Brown first and then ultimately a Blue too. Or maybe instead of Blue a buckling spring if used only for typing. One of the benefits of buckling springs is a progressive resistance under actuation and more upward force to return the key to original position. Feels a little more bouncy, but the sound issue will still be there just like Blues, whether that's a plus or minus for you.

haug_peyton

Proper
Sep 25, 2018
I personally like blues, because I like not only the sound but the feel of it. I understand that blues are loud, so if I wanted a switch without the sound but with the feel I would definitely go with a brown.

haug_peyton

Proper
Sep 25, 2018

Doesnt green switches have a heavier activation.

https://codekeyboards.com/

The CODE keyboard is as flexible as you are:
Do you prefer QWERTY, Dvorak, or Colemak?

Are you on a Mac, and need to swap Alt with Command?

Are you a gamer who wishes you could disable the Windows key? Wouldn’t it be nice if the useless scroll lock key and scroll lock indicator could be a Windows key lock function instead?

Do you think the Caps Lock key is pointless, and would be more useful as Ctrl?

All this and more can be configured via a row of DIP switches on the back of the keyboard.