What type of cooling should I have for my computer?

KylonM

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
Sorry, but I am a bit new to building computers. Here's what I know I'm going to put into my computer:

i7 4790k devils canyon quad core
msi 970 gaming 4g
16gb gskill ripjaws x
msi z97 gaming mobo
corsair 750w 80+ bronze certified (just incase of future upgrades & there's a great deal on newegg)
nzxt phantom 410 tower

my question is: I'm not going to be overclocking (atleast for a while), but I will be doing CPU intensive things like 3d rendering, video editing blah blah. Should I add more fans to my cpu, or is the 3 that it comes with good enough? and if you feel like i should add water cooling, why? (from what i've read, this tower is really good for water cooling set-up and it looks cool, but why else?)

Solution
A few things...

CPU + MB - If you aren't going to overclock, look toward the H97 platform with the Xeon 1231 V3. This is very much the same CPU as the 4790k, just clocked slightly lower and without integrated graphics.
CASE - If you ever plan to add a high end GPU, the Phantom 410 won't fit 12" cards like the GTX 980 / R9 390.
PSU - That Corsair CX 750w is a fairly poor PSU. You get what you pay for in this space and that is a cheap unit... Look toward XFX or Seasonic, EVGA's G2 lineup, or filter through the Tier 1 or Tier 2 list..
www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
COOLING - Without overclocking you aren't really building up much heat so a single front intake fan and single rear exhaust will be fine. When...

Mattios

Honorable
You only really need watercooling for overclocking or for looks, neither of which you care about. The stock cooler with the CPU will be fine, although if it fits get something like a Hyper 212 Evo.

I'd get one more 120mm front fan and a side one and you'll be fine.

A few things...

CPU + MB - If you aren't going to overclock, look toward the H97 platform with the Xeon 1231 V3. This is very much the same CPU as the 4790k, just clocked slightly lower and without integrated graphics.
CASE - If you ever plan to add a high end GPU, the Phantom 410 won't fit 12" cards like the GTX 980 / R9 390.
PSU - That Corsair CX 750w is a fairly poor PSU. You get what you pay for in this space and that is a cheap unit... Look toward XFX or Seasonic, EVGA's G2 lineup, or filter through the Tier 1 or Tier 2 list..
www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
COOLING - Without overclocking you aren't really building up much heat so a single front intake fan and single rear exhaust will be fine. When overclocking, promote front-to-back airflow with front / bottom / side intake fans, and top / rear exhaust fans.
CPU COOLER - No overclocking will be just fine on the stock Intel cooler.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Mushkin Stealth 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 1GB Video Card ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $730.61

Solution

KylonM

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015

I wanted the i7 4790k for hyper threading. i haven't really heard about the part you've suggested. as for the power supply, my good friend suggested that one, why do you suggest me to choose a different one? what's wrong with the one i've chosen?

The Xeon 1231 V3 includes hyperthreading. It and the 4790k have the same L1, L2, and L3 cache, made on the same die and represent the same revision of the Intel Core CPU lineup. The Xeon is a much better purchase unless you really want to use the integrated graphics of the 4970k.

Read through the link below (also in my original response) for more info on power supplies in general. Cheaper isn't always better... Of note, the Corsair CX / Builder / etc... (among other things) have cheap capacitors, over-stated output ratings, and can suffer from voltage drop... If your total power consumption is half the rating then you will likely never have an issue, but there is no reason to make up for the shortcomings on a cheap PSU by upping the size. Look toward a quality unit up front...
www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.htm...

KylonM

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015

alright, and what exactly is "integrated graphics" used for? i've compared the i7 4790k to so many processors before i made my decision, and out of all the processors i've looked at, the 4790k just came out on top (for the price of around $300). I'm just asking because if integrated graphics isn't something i'm interested, it definitely seems like the other one might be a better buy for me.

Latest posts