Question What type of cpu overclock would have the most benefit in games?

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Overclocking my CPU core to 1.3v 4.8ghz actually gave me about 10-20 fps more. When I set the cache to 1.3v 4.8ghz I got better benchmark scores but not really an improvement in game. I know theres alot more that can be done other than just core and cache and now that I have a better cooler I want to try some other things. What all should be overclocked to get the best performance?

I'm never messing with ram overclocks again.

I5 7640x
Evga x299 ftwk
1000w psu
FD celsius s36
24gb 2400 ram
1060 6gb gaming x

Other than core clock, your next biggest boost in gaming performance would be overclocking your RAM. Things like cache clocks or fclk usually don't make a huge difference in terms of framerates.
Do keep in mind you have a CPU with only 4 cores and 4 threads and there is only so much you can do with that on modern titles. Most modern games really need a CPU with at least 6 and preferably 8 threads to run well and no overclock can overcome that deficit. If you are massively CPU limited you may benefit more from an upgrade than an overclock.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Other than core clock, your next biggest boost in gaming performance would be overclocking your RAM. Things like cache clocks or fclk usually don't make a huge difference in terms of framerates.
Do keep in mind you have a CPU with only 4 cores and 4 threads and there is only so much you can do with that on modern titles. Most modern games really need a CPU with at least 6 and preferably 8 threads to run well and no overclock can overcome that deficit. If you are massively CPU limited you may benefit more from an upgrade than an overclock.
I dont think I'm cpu limited, both gpu and cpu run at 100% playing modern warfare, but yes I do plan to upgrade soon. Overclocking my ram killed something in my pc. I just want to get the most out of it before I replace it. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 10900x 10 core 20 thread.

Aside from limited pci lanes and dual channel ram, is my i5 a slow cpu? I cant tell if my cpu or graphics card is limiting my performance. It seems since 2017 cpus with more cores and threads started to become more common. But more cores doesnt always mean better? It's so confusing and I have no idea what I'm supposed to look for in a cpu. Most cores, most threads, and highest speed? The higher core x299 cpus are a lower speed but speed doesnt matter?

I dont think I'm cpu limited, both gpu and cpu run at 100% playing modern warfare, but yes I do plan to upgrade soon. Overclocking my ram killed something in my pc. I just want to get the most out of it before I replace it. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 10900x 10 core 20 thread.

Aside from limited pci lanes and dual channel ram, is my i5 a slow cpu? I cant tell if my cpu or graphics card is limiting my performance. It seems since 2017 cpus with more cores and threads started to become more common. But more cores doesnt always mean better? It's so confusing and I have no idea what I'm supposed to look for in a cpu. Most cores, most threads, and highest speed? The higher core x299 cpus are a lower speed but speed doesnt matter?
Unless you're playing at 720p you're probably more limited by your graphics card in most games. Some very CPU heavy titles like Battlefield 64 player or Assassin's Creed might see you be CPU limited as well with only 4 threads. I'm not sure how CPU heavy COD Modern Warfare is, I know the Warzone battle royale spinoff can be CPU heavy, it probably comes down to how many players are in each match, the more there are the stronger the CPU you'd want.

As for upgrade options, it really depends on what you do with your computer. If all you're doing is gaming, X299 isn't really the best platform for you, as the chips on it have low clockspeeds and their mesh buses introduce more latency which reduces gaming performance a little bit. Right now 6 cores/12 threads seems to be the sweet spot for games, past that point you start to hit diminishing returns. The new consoles have 8 cores/16 threads so getting a CPU with that core count might be good to hedge your bets for the future, beyond that though, there isn't much point unless you're also doing productivity tasks that benefit from more cores or you want to livestream games with a CPU encoder.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Unless you're playing at 720p you're probably more limited by your graphics card in most games. Some very CPU heavy titles like Battlefield 64 player or Assassin's Creed might see you be CPU limited as well with only 4 threads. I'm not sure how CPU heavy COD Modern Warfare is, I know the Warzone battle royale spinoff can be CPU heavy, it probably comes down to how many players are in each match, the more there are the stronger the CPU you'd want.

As for upgrade options, it really depends on what you do with your computer. If all you're doing is gaming, X299 isn't really the best platform for you, as the chips on it have low clockspeeds and their mesh buses introduce more latency which reduces gaming performance a little bit. Right now 6 cores/12 threads seems to be the sweet spot for games, past that point you start to hit diminishing returns. The new consoles have 8 cores/16 threads so getting a CPU with that core count might be good to hedge your bets for the future, beyond that though, there isn't much point unless you're also doing productivity tasks that benefit from more cores or you want to livestream games with a CPU encoder.
Right. Somebody said something about the mesh buses being slower yesterday and that overclocking it cant really be done because of the temperature. I've been told that modern warfare is cpu heavy but my GPU is always running at 95-100% 1080p. On gta 5 cpu runs at 100% and my gpu runs around 50-60%. I kind of feel like upgrading from the 1060 wouldnt really be worth the money because it's still a really solid 1080p card, and I'm only playing on 60hz but it's just painful to watch the game drop to 45fps every once in a while. I can barely keep 60fps on cold war that's why I feel like games are evolving beyond my hardware, or it's just marketing for the new 3000 cards. Before anything I want to upgrade my monitor and see how my pc does.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS