What type of HDD to buy for RAID 1? (Computer upgrade)

indianking

Reputable
Jul 18, 2016
Hi everyone,

I’m looking to upgrade my almost 10 year old PC and need some great advice. Here is my current setup:

• Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
    RAM: 8 GB
    GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (Recently upgraded)
    PSU: 800 (I believe, I’ll check this later)
    HDD: 1TB 7200RPM (I’ll check the specific brand and model if it is useful)
I recently had more free time, so I wanted to get back into gaming, update some of my PC specs, and start backing up some files. I replaced my old GPU (ATI Radeon HD 5850), but I never noticed until recently how long it takes for my computer to start and how long certain often used application take to open.

The prices for SSDs have been decreasing, so I’m plan on buying a 240gb SSD for the OS, office suites, and one game. Since my current 1TB HDD is almost 10 years old, I was getting a little concerned that it might fail eventually. So I was thinking of purchasing another 1TB HDD and putting the both of them in RAID 1 (I’ve never actually done any kind of RAID configurations, but definitely interested in learning!).

So here’s my actual question. Most of the deals I see now are for large internal drives 2TB+, so do you have any suggestions for what drives to get that are 1TB? This is mainly going to be used for backup and less often used files, so speed isn’t really a priority. Is there anything I should be looking for in particular? When I’m on my computer later today, I can pull up the brand and model if that’s useful.

I also have two 500GB WD MyPassports (https://www.amazon.com/500GB-Black-Passport-Portable-External/dp/B00W8XXRKW), that I was originally thinking of taking apart and using in RAID 1 instead, but I heard that I wouldn't be able to do that. If I could use these drives instead, then I could simply use the 1TB HDD as a game backups drive that I wouldn't be sad about if it ever crashed.

I don't have that large of a budget, I was hoping to spend less than $100 on the SSD and HDD, but let me know if that doesn't sound realistic.

Thank you for all of the help!

Solution

Yes, that will work.
I don't use GoogleDrive, but a lot of people do.

And don't feel weirded out about the RAID 1 thing, A LOT of people are under that misconception.
Don't RAID your old drive with a new one! If you go RAID, make sure both drives are of same type / capacity.

Also - RAID is not a backup solution, it's storage solution. If you are happy with the performance of your 1TB drive now, just get a large enough external drive, and establish a backup routine.

I am not sure your $100 will be enough for 240gb SSD, and external (or even internal) HDD drive.

indianking

Reputable
Jul 18, 2016
Ah I hadn't realized RAID wasn't the best option! I was afraid of losing some of my older files, worked-related documents, etc. So I thought a RAID setup was the way I should go. I'm definitely open to all suggestions, USAFRet!

Alabalcho, when you say a backup routine, is this a protocol/program that backs it up for me or do you mean periodically backing it up manually?

In terms of SSD pricing, I found the following deals:
- Crucial MX500 250GB ($69)
- Patriot Burst 240GB ($53)
- ADATA SU800 256GB ($58)

I've definitely been out of the PC hardware loop for a very long time, so do you think these are decent drives/brands to look into?

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but the 1TB HDD I have is the SAMSUNG HD103SJ. Thanks again!

USAFRet

Titan
For an extensive backup routine (mine), read here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3383768/backup-situation-home.html

Although complex, that could easily be pared down to a couple of USB connected extrernal drives.

A RAID 1 only wards off the physical loss of a drive.
It does nothing for the far more common forms of data loss.
Accidental deletion, malware, corruption, ransomware, etc, etc.

With a RAID 1, the user and OS sees a single drive and file. Accidentally delete it, it is gone.

A real backup is more than one copy of a file, on different physical drives. Delete from Drive A, it still exists on Drive B.
RAID 1 does not do that.

indianking

Reputable
Jul 18, 2016
That is really good to know! So based off of what you and Alabalcho said, it sounds like I only need to purchase the 240GB SSD and just use the external drives I have as backups.

I also have unlimited Google Drive storage through my work. For non-confidential materials, do you think that's another safe backup as well?

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, that will work.
I don't use GoogleDrive, but a lot of people do.

And don't feel weirded out about the RAID 1 thing, A LOT of people are under that misconception.

Solution