Question What type of issue is this? CPU/Mobo/PSU?

Seamus McGinley

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2015
Hi all, I’m totally at a dead end and I need expert help..

My PC turned itself off today randomly, I was on the desktop downloading a file, the pc had been on for about 12hours prior to this just downloading, no load or anything.

When I went to restart I was promoted with the BSOD with an error code, (never happened before) when I restarted I got various other BSOD errors. Initial thoughts were windows is corrupt somehow.

I got my windows dvd and tried to boot it off that but to no joy, just hangs on the windows logo. I also can’t enter the recovery screen or booth info safe mode without another BSOD over riding it.

I reset my CMOS and bios then I flashed the bios to the latest stable update, now my pc starts and either freezes on a black screen with the keyboard inop or else I can enter the bios and change settings. If I try to boot I get the same blue screens.

I’ve ruled out RAM by changing sticks and trying just one and my GPU is out for safety and the problem persists.

CPU temps show about 30 degrees C in the BIOS and I don’t think it’s that.

Would this be a PSU or a mobo problem and how would I find out? Thank you

specs
i7-8700k
RTX2070
32GB (4x8gb) 3200mhz vengeance ram
bequiet! 600W gold 80 PSU

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in the build? Can you monitor temps using HWMonitor to see what temps are for the CPU, motherboard and GPU? What version of Windows 10 are you working with? We're currently on version 20H2. Can you get into BIOS? If so, please check and see what BIOS version you're on at the moment.

Since you can see the temperature in the bios(which is ok)
See if you can run a basic functional test.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

My first guess would be a failing psu.
See if you can't test with a known good psu.

Next would be the motherboard.
Past that, an intel cpu failure can happen, but it is rare.

Seamus McGinley

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2015
How old is the PSU in the build? Can you monitor temps using HWMonitor to see what temps are for the CPU, motherboard and GPU? What version of Windows 10 are you working with? We're currently on version 20H2. Can you get into BIOS? If so, please check and see what BIOS version you're on at the moment.

PSU is about 4-5 years old now. I tried a friends one in my system as it was the same, then I swapped the CPU for another i7-8700k out of my friends system and my PC started first time no issues so it appears as that my CPU just died? What would’ve caused this :(

Seamus McGinley

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2015
Since you can see the temperature in the bios(which is ok)
See if you can run a basic functional test.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

My first guess would be a failing psu.
See if you can't test with a known good psu.

Next would be the motherboard.
Past that, an intel cpu failure can happen, but it is rare.

Turns out my Ram is Okay and my CPU just failed. I tried another CPU in my motherboard and it worked first time, no BSOD or corruption. Any idea what would’ve caused this initially?

Contact Intel for a RMA replacement.
You have a 3 year warranty that starts on the day you purchased the chip.
If you do not have such proof of purchase, the manufactured date Plus 90 days will, I think be accepted.
I have had to do this once, and it is relatively hassle free.
As to why, it is unlikely to be anything you have done unless you have overclocked the processor past the maximum voltage.

Seamus McGinley

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2015
Contact Intel for a RMA replacement.
You have a 3 year warranty that starts on the day you purchased the chip.
If you do not have such proof of purchase, the manufactured date Plus 90 days will, I think be accepted.
I have had to do this once, and it is relatively hassle free.
As to why, it is unlikely to be anything you have done unless you have overclocked the processor past the maximum voltage.

Oh really its 3 years? I have it 2 years only and I've definitely not overclocked it near to its limits! I'll look into this! thanks